Honored Contributor

Re: Vintage lime gelatin salad

My mother’s go-to jello salad was cherry jello with drained fruit cocktail, sliced bananas and the toasted coconut marshmallows.   She made it year round, but we really looked for, and expected it, at Christmas.   

Valued Contributor

We also called it Broken Glass cake.  I have made it and my grandchildren thought it was so cool.  Come to think of it I might make it for Thanksgiving or Christmas.  Can't remember what I used for a mold?

Trusted Contributor

I wanted to thank everyone who responded to my post...looking for the lime jello salad.  It was fun to learn about so many different family traditions related to Jello! I found that all the suggestions sounded good...made of a list of them all so I can try them at a later time.

Thank you again for thoughtful ideas and suggestions. I'm going to wing the one I was looking for...doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to mess up! Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Terrywu wrote:

We also called it Broken Glass cake.  I have made it and my grandchildren thought it was so cool.  Come to think of it I might make it for Thanksgiving or Christmas.  Can't remember what I used for a mold?

@Terrywu 

my mom said that she always used a springform pan.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

My DM also made "broken glass cake".  As years passed, this dessert didn't appear much.  When my DM was in the nursing home and Alzheimer's took her ability to talk away, I made this for her for Mother's Day.  I never cared for this as a kid growing up but knew she did.  It never tasted as good as it did that last time I made it for her.   Heart

Valued Contributor

@madzonie  I found this and thought it sounded something like your gelatin salad. 

Avocado Jello Salad.jpg

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Happy to say my mom only put fruit in our Jello. Most common was strawberry Jello with bananas, topped with Dream Whip, a precursor of Cool Whip.