Trusted Contributor

When I was growing up in the mid 50s, my mother always made a molded gelatin salad for the holiday dinner. I have been searching for years for the actual recipe, but have had no luck.

The ingredients were: lime Jello, grated cucumbers, chopped walnuts and chunks of avocado.  I remember I liked everything except for the avocados at that time (8-10 years old). I thought they were icky and slimey.

I think I could make it without a recipe, but I was just curious if anyone else ever heard of, made or ate this salad.

Respected Contributor

Re: Vintage lime gelatin salad

There is a website, click Americana dot com.  They have many vintage recipes and I know I have seen vintage jello salad recipes there.  Along with the vintage ads and pictures.  They may have the recipe you are searching for.  

Hope this helps!

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

I don't have the recipe, but my Mom always made green jello with carrrots, cabbage, celery & Miracle Whip spread across the top like frosting. Ewwww.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

L

@Dusty1 wrote:

I don't have the recipe, but my Mom always made green jello with carrrots, cabbage, celery & Miracle Whip spread across the top like frosting. Ewwww.

LOL - For every TG and Xmas dinner, my mother made lime green jello salad with shredded cabbager and carrots only.  She served it with mayonnaise to mix in when served.   I actually LOVE it and just added some lime jello to my Walmart grocery pickup order this morning for TG.  My husband is not a fan, so I have to eat it all myself.  It wouldn't seem like the Holidays without lime jello salad.

Seems like this recipe must have been a "thing" sometime in past history.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I tried to google this for you, but did not find a recipe with this exact combo.  You are right, though, you really can add anything to jello and make it come out right.

We always had and sometimes still do, have a jellow salad at family dinners.  Never lime jello, though.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

GROSS!!!!!

Respected Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

I'm not a fussy eater, but I won't eat that.  Cabbage???  Sounds like something you make when you clean out the vegetable bin in the fridge.  Just chop it up and put it in lime jello

LOL

Respected Contributor

@madzonie Allrecipes has one from 2012 which is somewhat as you described.  It is entitled "Aunt Mabel's Molded Avocado Salad" and was contributed by Carol Churchill.

In addition to the ingredients you reference it has cream cheese, mayo and celery.  It has pecans to be placed on the dressing she also lists, but there are no walnuts.  She said her husband's Aunt gave her the recipe 45 years earlier when she and her husband got married.

Honored Contributor

When I was a child, every grandmotherly lady had a  complete repertoire of gelatin salad recipes for all occasions from holidays to bridge club.  Some are very good and are more like desserts.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

i was also looking for an old jello recipe.

it was a dessert.......we always called it a stained glass cake.

it had a graham cracker crust.

there were small pieces of different colored jello in the all white whipped cream (?) cake part. it was so pretty for the holidays and tasted nice and light.

has anyone heard or seen this before?

i recently found it on the internet and am considering making this.....i love some of these vintage recipes!

https://clickamericana.com/wp-content/uploads/Vintage-Jell-O-Crown-JewelWindow-Glass-dessert-recipes-2-750x500.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein