Respected Contributor

Is it OK to leave it at room temp?   Because if you put it in the fridge, the oil solidifies and you can't use it.   I'm talking vinaigrette dressing made from scratch.

Trusted Contributor

Yes it’s OK. I do not refrigerate my oil-and-vinegar dressings. Keep them in sealed bottles or jars in a cupboard, not near the stove.

Neither oil nor vinegar will spoil at room temperature, assuming you’re not storing the same concoction in a bottle or jar for years and years! It can get rancid eventually, so turn over your vinaigrette inventory. 

Respected Contributor

Can't you just remember to pull it out of the fridge early before you need it? In a pinch, I've even set it on the stove close to things that are heating up for extra warmth to help it along...I've also set it outside in the sun for just a few minutes and that does the trick. Ha!

Respected Contributor

I use canola oil in my dressings, which doesn’t solidify. I actually prefer it to olive oil(which I use for everything else).

Respected Contributor

@Bridgegal   Just from the recesses of my brain, you need to be sure there is enough acid--so vinegar, and salt--in your vinaigrette to be certain you don't have any problems.  And never infuse garlic cloves in oil.

There was something about the very likely dangerous possibility  of botulism from infusing fresh garlic in oil.  A big "no no" several years back.

Check the government food safety guidelines.

I don't make a large batch of vinaigrette from scratch at one time, except the rare occasion when I "cheat" and make it using Good Seasons Italian packets in their pre-measure jar.

To be safe I would refrigerate for about a week max and either use up or toss after that time.

It doesn't take long when you pull it from the ice box for it to re-emulsify and again be useable.  So, me, I would refrigerate it.

Esteemed Contributor

Do you store your oil and vinegar (individually) in the refrigerator? I store both in a cabinet....when I mix them together for a dressing, I do not refrigerate the dressing. I also make a smaller amount that can be used within a day or a couple of days.

Respected Contributor

@tucsongal wrote:

I use canola oil in my dressings, which doesn’t solidify. I actually prefer it to olive oil(which I use for everything else).

Good idea.   Thanks.

Respected Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Bridgegal   Just from the recesses of my brain, you need to be sure there is enough acid--so vinegar, and salt--in your vinaigrette to be certain you don't have any problems.  And never infuse garlic cloves in oil.

There was something about the very likely dangerous possibility  of botulism from infusing fresh garlic in oil.  A big "no no" several years back.

Check the government food safety guidelines.

I don't make a large batch of vinaigrette from scratch at one time, except the rare occasion when I "cheat" and make it using Good Seasons Italian packets in their pre-measure jar.

To be safe I would refrigerate for about a week max and either use up or toss after that time.

It doesn't take long when you pull it from the ice box for it to re-emulsify and again be useable.  So, me, I would refrigerate it.

Thanks.  No garlic.  Just Olive oil, red wine vinegar, S&P and a dash of oregano.  

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for your input on this @aroc3435 .  I had no idea about the danger of infusing garlic in oil.  As a huge garlic lover, this is something I probably would have done had I not read your post.