Respected Contributor

Re: Vidalia Onion Season is on its way for French Onion Soup

@Sooner To me, the ones ordered from Morris Farms were better since I could pick the size and they were shipped as soon as they were harvested directly to me.

Last year I ordered the smaller diameter size because they fit my needs better.  The ones at the supermarket were much larger but they are all good.

Have a calendar reminder ready to order again this season.

aroc3435

Honored Contributor

Enjoyed this onion dip with tortilla chips last night at a neighborhood gathering.  Here is the recipe:

2 cups chopped Vidalia onions

1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar

3/4 cup mayonnaise

1/2 cup chopped American cheese

Stir everything together and pour into 1-qt ovenproof casserole.  Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.  Let cool 10 minutes before serving.  

Valued Contributor

I am a sweet onion addict, whether Vidalia, Walla Walla or any sweet onion variety.  I usually buy Costco or Sam's big bags.  I like to prep them as soon I get them home by dicing and sauteing, carmelizing then freezing in small packages.  I try to always have a 8 oz mason jar of them ready to go in the fridge.  I use them in my egg bites, omelettes, scrambled eggs, on top of pizza and in any dish that they will be good in.  And there is never enough fresh diced onions on top of my chicago hot dogs! lol. Now, I might have to try ordering the Vidalias to see if there is a notable flavor difference.  I am always looking recipes using onions, so thanks everyone for your recipes!  I will be making the onion dip for my next get together!

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Last night, we had the MOST fattening, heart-unhealthful, delicious  dinner ever, using caramelized onions.

Normally, we don't cook beef patties  in a fry pan at home.   If we do cook them at home, they are normally cooked outside on the grill.

In a deep fry pan, I sauteed two thick lean ground beef patties-- along with a small batch of my frozen and thawed  caramelized onions heated on each side of the beef.

When the beef got done, I piled  onions on top of each patty and then topped each  with two very thin slices of different cheeses,  until the cheese melted.

DH loved it.  So did I.  We wouldn't eat this way very often, but it sure was good and not hard.  I think the onions made the meal.

We're on a more moderate eating plan today.

Respected Contributor

I recieved my first vidalia onions. I was so excited to devide what to make first. I decided to make a roasted vidalia onion. It was so good that I wish I made more.

doxie