Respected Contributor

Re: Vidalia Onion Season is on its way for French Onion Soup

[ Edited ]

@denisemb wrote:

@novamc1 

Thanks for the heads up.  I have a recipe for carmelizing onions in a crockpot and have always wanted to try it - now I have a good excuse!

@denisemb ,

I've made the French onion soup recipe that calls for carmelizing the onions in the crockpot. You put the onions, some butter and salt and pepper in the Crock-Pot and let them cook all night on low.

They were fabulous.  You will never carmelize onions the old way again.

Respected Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@denisemb wrote:

@novamc1 

Thanks for the heads up.  I have a recipe for carmelizing onions in a crockpot and have always wanted to try it - now I have a good excuse!

@denisemb ,

I've made the French onion soup recipe that calls for carmelizing the onions in the crockpot. You put the onions, some butter and salt and pepper in the Crock-Pot and let them cook all night on low.

Whoo-hoo!  Still haven't tried it, but I will!

Denise
Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@novamc1 I so enjoy Vidalia onions.  Can't wait until I can order them for the third year in a row from Morris farms in April.  @sharke was the one who recommended this business a couple of years ago and this year I am going to order a larger amount since they have kept so well and I was so sad when I ran out of them in November.

My neighborhood Harris Teeter ran out of them around the same time.

Of course, I use the standard yellow onions too but love the mild, unique, flavor profile of Vidalias.

Thank you for the post.  I subscribe to Southern Living and love it.  Hope the next issue shows up in my mailbox soon.

aroc3435

@aroc3435 OH how I wish we had Harris Teeter!  I love those stores!  The onions are good, but the store is what I want!

Lucky lucky girl!  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

How do you all store these Vidalia onions and how do you know when they come in?  I guess if you ordered now. you would get stored ones.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner   You can only order from Morris Farms when they are about to be available.  I ordered them in early May.

I wrapped each onion in a sheet of newspaper and put them in a lined drawstring canvas bag made to store onions.  Of course, I kept them far away from potatoes because if you store these two vegetables near each other they spoil very quickly.

Then you mentioned Harris Teeter.  It took me a while to adjust to Harris Teeter when I moved from Connecticut to Washington DC.  Some of the foods and brands I was so used to are not available here.  

It has much less variety of authentic Italian ingredients, for example, throughout the store.  One example of something I can't get here would be basket cheese that I normally use in pizza gain--which is an Italian cheese pie that I make for Easter.  

But it is a very nice chain store and I've pretty much adjusted to the changes.  I now love Duke's mayonnaise.

The HT nearest to me that is around the corner is set up weirdly because it has condo apartments above it and a covered parking garage so it's not the typical rectangular box type of supermarket setup so it kind of has a maze like effect to it sometimes making it difficult to find things since they are tucked into weird corners

of the store.

Cheers,

aroc3435

Respected Contributor

@Sooner 

The season for Vidalia onions starts sometime near or in April.

From info posted here  earlier:

:

<<. As the official state vegetable as well as an official trademark owned by the State of Georgia, Vidalias thrive in the rich, low-sulfur soil of southeast Georgia. Praised for their sweet flavor and consistency, these treasured onions start popping up in markets around the country in April and appear throughout the warm growing season. The natural sugars in Vidalias make them a perfect candidate for French Onion Soup>>

I caramelize onions in a small crockpot  with a little butter and Worcestershire sauce and freeze them in small batches.

To store fresh onions, I have good results from wrapping each onion in a paper towel and storing them in the long, rectangular Lock and Lock refrigerator containers.

I have also frozen fresh onions for longer periods in those same containers over the winter

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 But the one I get to once a year has Cheerwine, a great selection of rice and grits, White Lily Flour, and lots of other things like the mayo, pickles and such that as a southerner in the southwest I have to import!  LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@denisemb wrote:

@novamc1 

@denisemb ,

Whoo-hoo!  Still haven't tried it, but I will!

@Ms tyrion2 

@denisemb 

Couldn't agree more, this for me is the best way to caramelize onions.  They just bubble away and before you know it, you have perfectly cooked onions!

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Every year I order 30 or 40 lbs from a friend of DH's who is associated with The Shriners.  They sell them around here as a fund raiser.  And every year I run out.  So I'm biting the bullet and ordering 50 lbs. this year. I do give my first 10 lb. bag to a dear neighbor who has us for dinner frequently, but somehow I manage to plow through the rest.

@novamc1  thank you so much for this thread and that recipe!

@depglass  and thank you for reminding me about the Shriners.  Many years ago, my ex suddenly veered off the road (we were on our way to work) as he saw a Shriners stand selling vidalia's (I had never heard of them!).  My ex is long gone but my love for vidalias is ever lasting.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

While cleaning the church kitchen this week, we were just discussing the arrival of the Vidalias.  This recipe was offered by one of the helpers (and a very good cook).  I hope to try it soon:

4 tbsp butter

4 lbs onions, cut in half and sliced thin

1 1/4 tsp salt

1 tsp sugar

1 cup red wine

8 cups beef broth

2 bay leaves

3/4 tsp pepper

1/2 lb French bread cut into 1" cubes

3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil

1/2 lb shredded aged Swiss cheese

1/2 cup shredded Parmesan

Melt butter in big saucepan, then stir in onions, sugar, and 3/4 tsp salt over medium-high heat.  Cover and cook until onions are translucent (about 20 minutes), stirring occasionally.  Uncover and cook until liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes.  Reduce heat to medium and cook onions until caramel colored (about 35 minutes), stirring often.  Spread into single layer in bottom of pan.

Stir in wine, scrape up fond, and cook for 1 minute to evaporate.  Stir in broth, bay leaves, 1/2 tsp pepper, and 1/4 tsp salt over high heat until coming to a boil.  Simmer over medium-low heat for 1/2 hour.

Stir bread cubes with olive oil, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper in bowl.  Bake on baking sheet at 350 degrees until golden, about 15 minutes.  

Remove bay leaves from pot.  Divide onion soup into ovenproof crocks.  Sprinkle 1/2 of Swiss cheese among tops of soup.  Evenly distribute croutons among top of cheese.  Sprinkle croutons with rest of Swiss, then with Parmesan.  Bake in 500 degree oven until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.  Let cool for 5 minutes until serving.