Respected Contributor

Vidalia Onion Season is on its way for French Onion Soup

[ Edited ]

https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/vidalia-onion-soup-recipe

<<There's no question that the star of this recipe are the Vidalia onions, which help to give this soup even more flavor. As the official state vegetable as well as an official trademark owned by the State of Georgia, Vidalias thrive in the rich, low-sulfur soil of southeast Georgia. Praised for their sweet flavor and consistency, these treasured onions start popping up in markets around the country in April and appear throughout the warm growing season. The natural sugars in Vidalias make them a perfect candidate for French onion soup. It's important to spend a good bit of time caramelizing the onions to develop their sweet, nutty flavor.>>

Honored Contributor

Re: Vidalia Onion Season is on its way for French Onion Soup

The best French onion soup I have ever eaten had beer and wine in it. It was not one bit salty, and had a lovely mild taste

Esteemed Contributor

Around here it's the Walla Walla.  Plan a road trip as soon as school is out and only the chosen few get what we dole out when we back.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@novamc1 I so enjoy Vidalia onions.  Can't wait until I can order them for the third year in a row from Morris farms in April.  @sharke was the one who recommended this business a couple of years ago and this year I am going to order a larger amount since they have kept so well and I was so sad when I ran out of them in November.

My neighborhood Harris Teeter ran out of them around the same time.

Of course, I use the standard yellow onions too but love the mild, unique, flavor profile of Vidalias.

Thank you for the post.  I subscribe to Southern Living and love it.  Hope the next issue shows up in my mailbox soon.

aroc3435

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@novamc1 I so enjoy Vidalia onions.  Can't wait until I can order them for the third year in a row from Morris farms in April.  @sharke was the one who recommended this business a couple of years ago and this year I am going to order a larger amount since they have kept so well and I was so sad when I ran out of them in November.

My neigghborhood Harris. Teeter ran out of them around the same time.

Of course, I use the standard yellow onions too but love the mild, unique flavor profile of Vidalias.

Thank you for the post.  I subscribe to Southern Living and love it.  Hope the next issue shows up in my mailbox soon.

aroc3435

@aroc3435    A couple years ago, the mother of one of the ladies in my study club passed away.  The daughter was very thoughtful about what she had left behind and rather than selling everything immediately, thought of ways to give some things as gifts.  She had a large collection of Southern Living cookbooks which she gave as a door prize at a December meeting, and I was fortunate to have my name drawn for that door prize.  I much preferred that over some book someone ran to Books-a-Million and picked up on the bargain table for $5-10.

Honored Contributor

I hope they are as good this year as they were last year.

Honored Contributor

I love Vidalia  onions and French onion soup. And oh yes, red wine definetlyi,proves the flavor.

I can't wait to buy them.

Honored Contributor

Every year I order 30 or 40 lbs from a friend of DH's who is associated with The Shriners.  They sell them around here as a fund raiser.  And every year I run out.  So I'm biting the bullet and ordering 50 lbs. this year. I do give my first 10 lb. bag to a dear neighbor who has us for dinner frequently, but somehow I manage to plow through the rest.

Respected Contributor

@novamc1 

Thanks for the heads up.  I have a recipe for carmelizing onions in a crockpot and have always wanted to try it - now I have a good excuse!

Denise
Super Contributor

@novamc1  you had me Vidalia onion and then you said  French onion Soup!  Boy would I love a bowl now!