Respected Contributor

Very Common, Very Good Green Bean Dish

This one merits repeating, if you haven't tried it for a while......

GREEN BEANS with CARAMELIZED ONION--4 servings

1 pound fresh green beans

2 medium sweet onions, halved and thinly sliced

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 or 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, optional

--Cook beans in boiling water 15 minutes, drain.  Chill overnight, if desired.

--Cook onion in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 8-10 minutes. (Do not stir)

--Then cook onions, stirring often 5-10 minutes until golden brown.

--Reduce heat to medium, stir in butter and brown sugar

--Add green beans and cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

--Toss bean mixture with vinegar, if desired.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Very Common, Very Good Green Bean Dish

This sounds delish!!! I am always on the hunt for good vegetable dishes, and think I will try this for a side dish this week.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@novamc1Yummy recipe although I do not cook my beans as long.  I like a crisper bean even in this recipe.

Honored Contributor

sounds good---my fave way to cook green beans is 2 minutes in the pressure cooker---they come out so tender and green and not at all mushy or tough---I put garlic in there with a little lemon juice and then just serve as is---perfection!!!!

Frequent Contributor

@wagirl, could you share the full recipe for your green beens.  I love the fact about the pressure cooker.  Do you add liquid? butter? salt? pepper?  along with lemon and garlic.

You set PC for 2 minutes and do you natural release or quick?

Thank you.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Because the recipe calls for caramelization (browning of the onions with brown sugar and butter), can this  actually be accomplished better in a pressure cooker than by simply doing  the skillet cooking specified in the recipe?

Personally,  I wouldn't go to the trouble of using  a pressure cooker for something that takes  little time to cook in one skillet as recipe directs.  

Also, the amount of time green beans should be boiled might depend on how thick the beans are.  Some green beans are very thin, others  thicker. 

I don't like overcooked green beans for this recipe and only boil mine for about 6-7 minutes, because after mixing  parboiled beans with the caramelized onions, sugar and butter in a skillet, they are going to cook more and won't end up crisp anyway.

Might be hard to get "crisper" beans in this  particular recipe. Just my opinion.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@iQue---yes, beans in water or use a steamer with the beans on it--both work fine. I add at least 1 cup of water---then add whatever you want to flavor them. I use butter/salt/pepper  when I serve them tho, but usually throw in whole smashed garlic cloves --no need to peel them and herbs in there too , usually dill and then lemon juice or sliced fresh lemon. seal the p/c and cook on high for 2 minutes with a quick release. So fast and so yummy.

Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@novamc1Yummy recipe although I do not cook my beans as long.  I like a crisper bean even in this recipe.

@millieshops  @novamc1   Not until I was an adult and my mother died did I even know anyone ate green beans "tender crisp".  Growing up in PA one of the Sunday meals in our rotation was ham, green beans and potatoes all thrown in a pot and cooked all day.  The meat flavored the vegetables and the green beans and potatoes just fell apart.  I still make them that way!  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Financialgrl

Green beans simmered for hours with ham hocks....... yum.

.I .used to make them that way quite often.

Green beans can be cooked so many different ways...........you can boil, roast, saute...........I just love them any old way.

Honored Contributor

@FinancialgrlI also grew up in PA -  and the green beans in our house were also cooked limp and the beef was well done, too.  

I do cook a few things my mother's way, but not veggies and not beef.