Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Vermont Apple Frangipane Tart

[ Edited ]

(recipe source: Seasons In Vermont)

This is such a lovely way to utilize all those yummy fall apples. It's light and delicious. It's a bit more work than a traditional apple pie but don't let that scare you. It's a beautiful presentation and it's definitely worth it.

Dough:
1/4
cup almonds, whole or slivered
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for shaping
1 pinch salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, cold and chopped into little pieces
1/4 to 1/3 cups ice water

First, make the tart dough. (This makes enough for 2 tarts; the dough freezes well!). In a food processor, grind the almonds into a meal. Add the flour, salt, and butter and pulse until the butter is in tiny bits and everything is combined. With the processor running, slowly add the cold water until the dough just barely holds together. Dump the dough onto a lightly floured clean counter and gather into a ball. Knead slightly and divide into two balls. Flatten into round disks and cover completely in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at lease 30 minutes.

Filling:
All-purpose flour, for rolling
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup whole almonds, finely ground in a food processor
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon apple brandy or apple juice (this may be omitted)
2 to 3 apples, a tart variety like HoneyCrisp or Granny Smith
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/4 cup apricot jam

Preheat oven to 350° F.
After chilling the dough, remove one disk from the fridge and roll out onto a clean surface, using a little flour to keep it from sticking. Carefully drape the dough into a tart pan with a removable bottom. Press into the pan to line and trim the edges. Place the tart shell back in the fridge to chill while preparing the filling.

In a large mixing bowl, add the butter and sugar and beat well. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the ground almonds, vanilla, almond extract, lemon juice, lemon rind and Calvados and beat until fluffy. Remove the tart shell from the fridge and spread the filling over the bottom of the tart.

Peel and core the apples. Cut them in half (from top to bottom) and then slice each apple half very thinly. Arrange the apple slices on top of the frangipane filling in a concentric, circular pattern, with the apple slices overlapping. Bake for approximately 50 minutes, or until the apples begin to brown the the filling is bubbling.

Remove the tart from the oven and let cool on a rack. Place the apricot jam in a small saucepan over low heat. Strain and discard the solids. Using a pastry brush, paint the apricot jam all over the top of the tart for a nice glossy shine.

Respected Contributor

Re: Vermont Apple Frangipane Tart

Hi LoLo!

OMG...This looks so yummy, delicious!  Perfect for right now..."Apple Season".

Thanks...For sharing this Recipe. 

Valued Contributor

Hi @Bellabutterfly

It's so yummy! You're very welcome. I hope you'll love it too!

Happy Tuesday,

LoLa

Honored Contributor

Hi @LoLa

I absolutely love to make tarts so I don't have to fuss w/ a top crust!

I have a question....in the instructions it says:

"Add the ground almonds, vanilla, almond extract, lemon juice, lemon rind and Calvados and beat until fluffy"

I didn't see Calvados listed in the ingredients and I don't know what it is!

TIA!!

Honored Contributor

@LoLa

I'm sorry...I found it!  It took me a couple googles!  I am the worse 'searcher' in the world!  LOL

"Calvados is an apple brandy from the Normandy region of France"

I have Apple Bourbon...I could probably substitute that, couldn't I?

Thanks again!