Respected Contributor

I know this isn't soup season,but does anyone have a good veggie bf soup recipie?I've tried and tried to make this,but just can't concor this.thanks

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam I don't know about "soup season" but my family loves soup all year round!

Honored Contributor

I make a lot of homemade soup.

I get a very big pot.  

I get a low fat beef roast on sale.  Rump roast, eye of round, or sirloin tip which I cut in 1 inch chunks and simmer in 4 cans of beef broth. 

I add 1 can V 8 juice and equal water.

Then add:

1 c corn 

1 c cut okra

1 very large onion, rough cut

3 cut carrots

1 c  frozen French green beans.  

1/2 c green peas or Limas

Simmer  1 hour.

I cook potatoes separately and serve the soup over themSwitch out any vegetables to taste.

The soup can be refrigerated or frozen.  

Refrigerated potatoes are mealy.

Respected Contributor

hamburger soup

2 lbs. chopped meat, browned; drain fat

2 small onions, chopped

1 red pepper, chopped

2-32 oz. beef broth/stock

½ cup celery

2 cups froz. mixed veggies

1 cup orzo

2 (15 oz.) cans diced tomatoes and juice (Ital. flavored)

salt & pepper to taste

Bring to a boil and simmer 1 to 2 hours.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

What they said and freshly ground pepper, a little touch of vinegar, lemon juice OR a little hot sauce.  Not to make it hot but just a little acid gives it something rich.

I might also use some tomatoes or tomato sauce, I would probably brown the beef. I also like green beans in it, and a good amount of that crisp corn. AND a little salsa doesn hurt either.

Make it yours! 

Esteemed Contributor

I use a 5 or 6 quart stock pot.  My broth starts out with a small (around 5 oz.) can of V-8, small can (8 oz) of tomato sauce (or crushed tomatoes) and a small can of beef broth (or I mix up about 2 cups of Better than Bouillion/Beef).  I throw in about 1.5 lb of pre-cooked chuck roast that's been shredded or cut into bite size pieces.  I cut up a large onion and add some chopped garlic, can of green beans, carrots, corn (all drained).  I also cut up about three potatoes (bite size pieces). Add S&P to taste and about a T of parsley.  I let that simmer for at least an hour.  When I'm about ready to serve, I'll throw in about a half cup of barley or quinoa and let that cook until done.  Right at the end, I'll throw in a handful or two of frozen peas.  If you need more broth, I add water or more beef broth (or both).   

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Veggie beef soup

[ Edited ]

Aunt Gladys’s Soup                      3 quarts

1 lb  Beef, cubed (I use small top sirloin steak)

I like to add more potatoes than other veggies.   

3 lg potatoes cut into ½” cubes

3 carrots 

2 celery ribs       

1 sm onion, diced

1 can diced tomatoes (14oz) undrained

½ cup okra (optional)

I have added:

1/4 C of cut up cabbage and/or greens after 20 mins.

Add 1 can chicken broth and 1 can beef broth

Salt & pepper to taste. (broth is already salted)

Cook until veggies are tender.  About 30 minutes.

Broth can be diluted with water to obtain desired taste

Cook just long enough to cook the potatoes.  The smaller the pieces, the faster they cook.  Delicious and healthy!

Oh, gotta serve with cornbread!

Respected Contributor
Thank you all for delicious veggies bf soup recipies.cant wait to try
Respected Contributor

https://pictsweetfarms.com/recipes/

Their vegetable soup recipe is good.  I add some hamburger and cooked elbow mac.

Honored Contributor

I am not a recipe following cook, and do not go to the store to buy ingredients to come home and make a pot of soup!   If you eat vegetable soup in this house, it's because the refrigerator is full of leftovers suitable for dumping in a pot and calling it soup.   

Any leftover meat goes in the pot; beef or pork roast, taco meat, last of the meatloaf, or that bowl of leftover hot dog chili.  All the leftover vegetables are dumped in, which is usually green beans, corn, or peas, along with any leftover chopped onions.   I usually have to add fresh potatoes and carrots, along with canned tomatoes and jalapeños.

Any leftover broth gravy goes in the pot as does leftover macaroni and tomatoes, leftover fried potatoes, etc.   If the ketchup bottle or any other sauce like A1 or Worcestershire is nearly empty, it goes in the soup.   Soup here is hearty and flavorful, which is how we like it.