Honored Contributor

This recipe is so good - hardy, chock full of veggies, lentils, and topped with golden baked potatoes.  I always add a tablespoon of poultry seasoning to the veggies while simmering and before serving drizzle with Trader Joe's Sriracha BBQ Roasted Garlic sauce over the roasted potato crust.  Think stew with a 'tatter topping.  This is a dish that will please most and especially good on a chilly day!

High Carb Hannah's recipe - Veggie Shepherd's Pie

Honored Contributor

Hope it's ok to post photo! 
Looks good....

B928A672-1189-4725-87FF-C04C27F2ED07.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom Thanks....appreciate the photo!  Try the recipe, you'll love it....excellent for taking to pot lucks, family, holiday fare, or just good eating when you want a substantial hot meal.  Be sure to include the nutritional yeast (listed as optional), for that cheesy taste.

Honored Contributor

It looks so good. I want some now lol.

Honored Contributor

@colliemom4   Wish you were in my neighborhood...I loving sharing!  

Honored Contributor

I dont see the recipe

Honored Contributor

Re: Veggie Shepherd's Pie!

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty   I googled it for you.  Enjoy!

Veggie Packed Shepherd’s Pie

Description : This recipe makes a perfect main dish for any family meal or special gathering. Its also incredibly healthy and packed with veggies to keep you full and satisfied.

Mashed Potato Ingredients

• 3 lbs red potatoes
• 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk • Juice 1/2 lemon
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder
• 1/2 tsp salt

Base Ingredients

• 1 cup mushrooms, sliced • 1/2 yellow onion, diced • 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 cup red lentils

• 1/2 cup green/brown lentils
• 2 cups kale, chopped
• 1lb bag frozen mixed veggies, green beans, corn, carrots, peas
• 3 cups vegetable stock
• 1 tbsp italian seasoning
• 2 tbsp nutritional yeast

1. For the mashed potatoes fill a large pot with about
2 inches of water. Place a steamer tray in the pot and bring to a boil. While its heating up take 3 pounds of potatoes and chop them in quarters. You can use any kind of potato you like but I think red potatoes make the creamiest mashed potatoes. Place potatoes on steamer tray, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Let steam about 15 minutes or until they fall apart when you ****** them with a fork.

2. While the potatoes are cooking, add the garlic, onions and mushrooms into a pan over medium heat. Add 3-4 tbsp of the vegetable stock and let saute until the stock steams off (about 5-8 minutes) next add in the rest of your veg stock, your lentils and seasonings and bring to a boil. Once it starts boiling cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes add in your mixed veggies and kale and cook another 5 minutes.

3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Take your potatoes and mash them with the soy milk, lemon juice, salt and garlic powder. Once the lentil mix is done add it into a 9 inch ceramic pie dish or a 9x9 baking pan. Top with mashed potatoes and cook in the oven for 15 minutes until the top is browned. Let it cool 10 minutes before serving.

4. This dish will keep about 4 days in the fridge covered. Its a great meal to bring to work and throw in the microwave for a minute or two to heat up.

Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd If  itwas just me I would usually alimanate meat and usually eat vegetables , even lazagna with vegetables only and alfredo sauce.. But My husband is getting better with salads so that's a good start for him.A brand called Aoila ! got me hooked on pasta with vegetables, butter and a little garlic salt. It is so good.And a very quick  lunch, and a quick light supper. And a a roll and fruit and your all set. I like a small crusty roll with it..