Respected Contributor

Vegetarian non- dairy Easter Meal Suggestions?

[ Edited ]

Planning meal not during  brunch change or breakfast hours and stumped for ideas.  Planning a meat dish with sides but need vegetarian.  Any help appreciated.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Vegetarian non- dairy Easter Meal Suggestions?

[ Edited ]

@Twins Mom Julia Collin Davison from ITK presented lots of salads today on ITKWD while selling her cookbook.  One was a barley salad with pomegranate seeds and feta (I think). It looked delicious. I would think any hardy veggie casserole would work too. Lately, I had a really good eggplant lasagna. They used very small eggplants, so the skins were very tender. Julia also showed a butternut squash salad with pomegranate seeds.

ETA: Sorry, I didn't take into consideration the "non-dairy." Leave out the cheese.

Esteemed Contributor

@Twins Mom,  it isn't clear from your post if you are seeking a vegetarian side or main.  This is one of my favorite recipes and would be suitable as either.

Dairy-Free Vegan Risotto With Mushrooms

thespruceeats.com/vegan-mushroom-risotto-1001628

This site has lots of really terrific recipes including vegetarian and vegan.  As with the risotto many are suitable as mains or sides.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

The vegetarian may bring her own food, knowing the other guests are not vegetarian and not wanting to put out her host. 

If not, how about an asparagus quiche, if she doesn't mind eggs? Or is that too brunch-y?  I'd enjoy it any time of day.    

Esteemed Contributor

OP needs to re-work her situation.  Not clear at all.  

No breakfast - no lunch but main dinner meal...........I guess 

?

what's sixes - six people?

one is veggie and 5 are not?

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Can you make a soup? Vegetable or lentil? With a salad a great meal. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fthunt wrote:

OP needs to re-work her situation.  Not clear at all.  

No breakfast - no lunch but main dinner meal...........I guess 

?

what's sixes - six people?

one is veggie and 5 are not?

@fthunt,  I took the sixes to be a typo for sides not six people. 

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marp wrote:

@Twins Mom,  it isn't clear from your post if you are seeking a vegetarian side or main.  This is one of my favorite recipes and would be suitable as either.

Dairy-Free Vegan Risotto With Mushrooms

thespruceeats.com/vegan-mushroom-risotto-1001628

This site has lots of really terrific recipes including vegetarian and vegan.  As with the risotto many are suitable as mains or sides.

@Marp omg this risotto looks SOOO GOOD! I haven't had risotto  since I went pescatarian and dairy free. I'm definitely making this!!!

Honored Contributor

@Twins Mom wrote:

Planning meal not during  brunch change or breakfast hours and stumped for ideas.  Planning a meat dish with sixes but need vegetarian.  Any help appreciated.

@Twins Mom Do a vegetarian lasagna--and you can make ahead.  Strips of zucchini, eggplant, yellow squash, thinly sliced onion, vegetarian red sauce (bottled) and interlace with some lasagna noodles and bake!  

I believe they have vegetarian non-dairy "cheese" you could layer in it, or not.  Oh and mushrooms are good too, as well as cooked spinach!  

It's really good so make enough for every one, bake a ham, put out some slider biscuits/rolls, mustard, olives and relishes, have fruit for dessert and it's done! Maybe a green salad. . . 

Honored Contributor

When I have vegetarians at Holiday dinners I just add more sides - rice pilaf, glazed carrots, fruit salad, mushroom risotto, roasted potatoes, etc.