Frequent Contributor
Thanks for the great recipe, Digo! I made it this afternoon and it is delicious! I also added the parm rind. I was saving it for soup anyway. I added some cabbage and barley. Delish!
Honored Contributor
On 1/7/2015 MyQVC said:

I have always put about 1/2 head of finely shredded cabbage in my vegetable soup. I really think that is the secret to many compliments I get. Have to hide it from hubby, however. Once it is cooked, no one knows.

I have to put chopped cabbage in veg soup or it doesn't taste complete! It is 16 degrees outside right now.....perfect soup weather; I have made 2 different soups this week....love it.

Trusted Contributor

I also add cabbage to my veggie soup along with squash. I also add tiny pasta (alphabet, pastina, etc.). I always am trying to use up leftovers. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} However, this recipe is on my list of soups to try. Thanks.

Contributor

My hubby likes meat with his soup so I make a vegetable beef soup.

One beef roast cut into pieces about 1/2 in square.

Let this cook a while in then add 2 bags of vegetable soup mix (frozen, I get mine from Food Lion).

A can of petite diced tomatoes

a tbsp. sugar

let this simmer a good while.

You can determine the amount of tomato taste you want, more or less vegetable etc.

Very good. Make yesterday afternoon. This morning 13 degrees in North Carolina.

Respected Contributor

This time of the year I make a lot of beef vegetable soup. Its pretty similar but I brown small been cubes and put it in beef stock. Crockpot broke and the larger ones were on sale and bought one of those - made huge batch and froze them in single meal portions. Love pulling them out when the weather gets cold - and it's pretty darn cold here now!

Respected Contributor
On 1/8/2015 mema67 said:

My hubby likes meat with his soup so I make a vegetable beef soup.

One beef roast cut into pieces about 1/2 in square.

Let this cook a while in then add 2 bags of vegetable soup mix (frozen, I get mine from Food Lion).

A can of petite diced tomatoes

a tbsp. sugar

let this simmer a good while.

You can determine the amount of tomato taste you want, more or less vegetable etc.

Very good. Make yesterday afternoon. This morning 13 degrees in North Carolina.

My husband like beef in soup too. For vegetables I usually buy carrots and peas. I use either vegetable broth, chicken broth or beef as a base. We like diced tomatoes with green chilies and a bit of Tabasco pepper sauce.

Super Contributor

Thought I would post my recipe for vegetable soup, I've had compliments on it for years.

Cook pork loin roast or chicken breasts till can pull into shreds or hunks. Save broth add carrots (1pkg. sliced in chunks) 1 large head cabbage cut in wedges

2 cans green beans, 2 corn, 1 lima bean

1 lg can tomato sauce, 2 cans of diced tomatoes.

cook all day on low heat. Makes enough for a large family or to freeze

About 30 minutes before serving add large pkg. of Reames frozen noodle.

My family wants more cabbage than most would so I might add another small head, also if you don't like noodles just substitue diced potatoes. note. use a large pot.

Respected Contributor

Thanks so much for this great recipe, digo! I made it today. I had some yams on hand so I used them in place of the potatoes -- otherwise I followed it to the letter. Easy, hardy, yummy.

Trusted Contributor

Can you use Vegetable Broth rather than Chicken?

Respected Contributor
On 1/11/2015 DARING GREATLY said:

Can you use Vegetable Broth rather than Chicken?

Absolutely. I often use vegetable broth in place of chicken. It would be great with veggie broth.