Esteemed Contributor

Valerie's Egg Salad Recipe (UPDATE: See Newest Post)

[ Edited ]

I usually just make egg salad with diced eggs and minced onions and celery and mix into mayo with mustard and vinegar. Sometimes I add Old Bay or Paprika. I just saw Valerie Parr Hill's take on egg salad on FB. I LOVE dill pickles, but I'm wondering if I could still add the onion and celery with the pickles.I may try this for Memorial Day. Here's her post:

There’s nothing like a good egg salad. I’m always trying different ingredients when I make a batch. This recipe is by far our favorite. The secret is in the seasonings!
Egg Salad Secrets
Dozen Eggs
Half jar of Dill pickles dices (I used the stackers because they are so much easier to dice than round pickles).
My grocery store carries the Braswells Dill Pickle Mustard but easy to mimic with dill pickle relish and mustard.
Mayo or mayo substitute.
Celery salt and pepper to taste.
Chill before serving on avocado half, lettuce, tomato, or….
Enjoy!

Thoughts?

Honored Contributor

Re: Valerie's Egg Salad Recipe

i am sure it is delicious. i have never seen dill pickle mustard, but will have to look for it.

i use dill pickle juice instead of vinegar, no pickles though.

i dont add celery, but i do add celery seed.

mayo, mustard, freshly ground sea salt and black pepper.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom 

I have always used dill pickles and mustard in our eggs since none of us care for sweet pickles.

Valued Contributor

NO sort of pickles or relish in egg salad, ever.

Honored Contributor

Im sure you could use onion and celery in it.  I use onion but not celery and dill relish, not the pickles.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor

Sounds like a deviled egg recipe to me.  For egg salad I just use eggs, mayo, salt and pepper.  

Esteemed Contributor

I prefer sweet pickles in my egg salad, and I don't think I'd want mustard in there.  To each his own.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Im sure you could use onion and celery in it.  I use onion but not celery and dill relish, not the pickles.

@Imaoldhippie  The more I think about it, celery wouldn't be necessary for crunch because there are minced pickles. So, I could leave that out. Thinking....

Honored Contributor

I think  hers sounds like i make with tuna,for tuna salad , i would try her way of making it.And smoked paprika.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

6 hard-boiled eggs, diced

1/4 cup mayonnaise

1 tbsp minced onion

3 tbsp chopped celery

2 tsp Dijon mustard

2 tsp lemon juice

1/2 tsp salt

pepper