Respected Contributor

Re: VIDALIA ONION ISSUE

[ Edited ]

@WORKING GAL 

Was the eye-watering onion round in shape-- or was it  flattened at top and bottom as a genuine Vidalia is?

Vidalias are not perfectly round spheres and  too mild to produce tears.

"Sweet yellow onions" grown in south Georgia are available in stores all year and  cultivated  by some of the same farms  as true Vidalia onions--but they're not really Vidalia onions grown from  the correct seeds.

Vidalia onion season began in April.  You should be able to find some in stores soon if not now.

Honored Contributor

This year's Vidalias in northern Michigan are mild and sweet.  I have had the disappointing hotter ones in the past, including last year.  No special price promotion this year, they are 1.79 a lb.  

Honored Contributor

I don't pay much attention to the sticker, but I always pick the onions that are more flat which is an indication of sweetness.

I just bought quite a few yesterday, our grocery store has them for 68 cents a pound.  I keep them in our cool basement.

If, however, you want to sweeten your onion, put slices on a blow of cool vinegar water for about 30 minutes then towel dry.

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG - The onions were flat and looked just like the Shuman Farms ones I saw on the TV show.  They were on sale for 99 cents/lb.  I'll try the vinegar trick but I'm going to try and call the grower next week to see what they say.  Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

@novamc1 - Yes they were flat on top and bottom.  I refrigerated the one I sliced and will see if that made it milder.  If this grower is putting a Vidalia Onion label on an onion that is not a Vidalia, that's fraud.  I would think they would not want their name on the label.

I'll try contacting themnext week.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

I got my Vidalia onions from Costco last year. HUGE bag that lasted me a nice long time. I looked again for them this year and looks like Costco isn't selling them. Boy they were good.

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I don't pay much attention to the sticker, but I always pick the onions that are more flat which is an indication of sweetness.

I just bought quite a few yesterday, our grocery store has them for 68 cents a pound.  I keep them in our cool basement.

If, however, you want to sweeten your onion, put slices on a blow of cool vinegar water for about 30 minutes then towel dry.

@ECBG I never knew that about the flat ones being sweeter.  Thank you!!