Trusted Contributor

VIDALIA ONION ISSUE

[ Edited ]

I recently purchased 2 Vidalia onions from a local grocery store here in So. Ca.  The label said Vidalia Onion from Shuman Farms in Georgia.  When I sliced it, it made my eyes tear and it was very strong to the taste.  It was not mild and there was no sweetness at all.  We had just watched a TV show about how these onions are grown and how they differed from regular onions because of the soil in a number of counties in Georgia.  The ow ner of Shuman Farms was interviewed at length.  What has been your experience with Vidalias and does anyone know about Shuman Farms?  

Respected Contributor

Their website is shumanfarmsga.com

They would be the best source of information and might even have customer service telephone line. 

Honored Contributor

@WORKING GAL 

Too bad, hope they wern’t Too $.

Don’t know anything about that particular farm, however there is a Vidalia, Georgia, perhaps the onions were grown IN  Vidalia, but are not Vidalia onions.  The ones I know are mild & sweet.

I think It is a bit early for The actual Vidalia onions.  I’m in NC and we don’t have them yet.   

Are you in South Carolina, or Southern California?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

@Drythe - I am in So. California.  The owner of Shuman Farms said they are in a county in Georgia where Vidalias are grown. I might contact them.  

Honored Contributor

@Drythe Spent most of my life in So. Ca. and it's California! Never have seen So. Carolina abbreviated as So. Ca. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids 

Thank you.  

I have seen it a few times, and try to be careful; ‘cause 

Heaven help you if you get the two crossed up and confuse 

a So. Californian for a S. Carolinian. 😉

I always try to make sure.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@WORKING GAL wrote:

I recently purchased 2 Vidalia onions from a local grocery store here in So. Ca.  The label said Vidalia Onion from Shuman Farms in Georgia.  When I sliced it, it made my eyes tear and it was very strong to the taste.  It was not mild and there was no sweetness at all.  We had just watched a TV show about how these onions are grown and how they differed from regular onions because of the soil in a number of counties in Georgia.  The ow ner of Shuman Farms was interviewed at length.  What has been your experience with Vidalias and does anyone know about Shuman Farms?  

I buy for years now from www.VidaliaOnions.com This is a private owner, he and his wife, super nice people. Dial it up and you have a choice of what you want. I recieved my  box last week.He also will let you know when his last shipment in late summer is, and then you can have them all winter. I bought for my sister too for a few years. He emails me every early Spring and late summer. He has all my personal things on file and it's very easy for me. Try them and see what you think, or just check him on the web.

Respected Contributor

I am from South GA. Shuman Farms is in Reidsville, Ga, Tattnall County and this is right next door to Vidalia in Toombs County. Before I retired I drove all over south Ga. and actually went to the farms to buy my onions. Driving into the onion farms while there were still onions to harvest  was a treat. It smelled like baked onions. The onions grown in Tattnall Co. were called Glennville Sweets. They usually are not harvested until May. Yes they are considered sweet onions as onions go.

But keep in mind they are onions and they are not going to taste like apples. I just cut a sweet onion last night and had no problem with my eyes watering. I usually slice the onions with tomatoes and cukes and red bell pepper and add a vinaigrette dressing. I could eat them by the spoonful.

@WORKING GAL wrote:

fulls.

Frequent Contributor
@Drythe Vidalias have been available in eastern NC for at least 3 weeks. Harris Teeter, Publix, and Food Lion all have them.
Honored Contributor

@CicadaSongs 

In the foothills, hoven't seen 'em yet.  

Seems everything depends on shipping availability.