Honored Contributor

I tried something new yesterday - and having the leftovers tonight.

Smoked sausage, linguine and a jar of alfredo sauce,  

Just boil the pasta, slice and brown the sausage, heat the alfredo - and mix and serve.  

Defnitely going to make this again! 

Respected Contributor

That sounds good. I've never tried sausage but have added leftover chicken or ham or asparagus to alfredo sauce. The asparagus gives the sauce a really good flavor ... at least I think so.

Respected Contributor

i'm always afraid to try jarred alfredo.  i mean isn't it basically cream, butter, garlic, and some herbs?  

why would i need to buy a jar of something?  pretty simple to make.  i always remember many, many years ago, alfredo was always described as a heart attack on a plate.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Unusual but tasty dish

[ Edited ]

Hubby would like your recipe and I'll try it. Today I cooked some boxed cheese tortellini, added a jar of Alfredo sauce and some thawed frozen peas....added a little diced Canadian bacon at the last minute and he said "this is awesome"! Simple is good!

@kittylou, you don't have to try anything if you don't want to. If a jar of Alfredo sauce makes you nervous then don't worry about it. I have a feeling you wouldn't have bought it anyway! LOL!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I make that dish all the time, with sliced smoked sauage (lightly sauteed),  plus refrigerated Alfredo sauce from RANA or Buitoni and penne pasta.

Any type of pasta would be OK, but I like penne rigate.

I've never wanted to use a jar of Alfredo sauce.  The refrigerated seems more authentic and fresh  and has a relatively short shelf life once you buy a container of it.  I used to make Alfredo from scratch with cream and grated Parmesan, but the refrigerated kind is just as good and a whole lot more convenient. 

I add frozen peas, some diced green/red/yellow peppers/onion, sometimes add some diced tomatoes,  and spice it up with a generous dose of Cajun seasoning from McCormick.

We have more than we can eat at one meal, but the microwaved leftovers are pretty good, too.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My  introduction to this dish began with the national ad campaign that Hillshire Farms (the well-known smoked sausage maker) ran  in magazines for its quick and easy sausage and Alfredo skillet dish. 

It's easy to find on the Hillshire Farms website, along with other recipes.

After making the first version years ago,  I've since embellished it with other things.  It's a winner.

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds good to me.

Honored Contributor

DH brought nhome some Bertolli's Alfredo, and it was pretty good.  Nice to keep on hand if you don't keep high calorie ingredients like cream on hand.

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

DH brought nhome some Bertolli's Alfredo, and it was pretty good.  Nice to keep on hand if you don't keep high calorie ingredients like cream on hand.

@ECBG  We used to use Bertolli's Alfredo sauce until I bought a container by Buottoni - it's great! I will never make my own again, or use another brand. Give it a try, and you will see a huge difference between the two. Bertolli's is very bland while Buottoni's actually tastes like the real deal. 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@ECBG  We used to use Bertolli's Alfredo sauce until I bought a container by Buottoni - it's great! I will never make my own again, or use another brand. Give it a try, and you will see a huge difference between the two. Bertolli's is very bland while Buottoni's actually tastes like the real deal. 

@Mimi 1883 Is it this?  Amazon has it.  I've only seen mine.

Botticelli Premium Alfredo Sauce (Packs of 2) - Roman-Style White Alfredo Pasta Sauce with Cheese for Fettuccine, Chicken,...