Respected Contributor

I can't believe a post criticizing my comment. It's a forum. Not against the rules RetRN.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@ECBG   The last couple times I cooked (crockpot) a roast they were bland.

I used to love a roast, with potatoes, carrots....not so much lately, but I know that I will buy another one, one of these days and try again!

@Mom2Dogs Try what I did.  For a bigger roast double the ingredients!

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@ECBG   The last couple times I cooked (crockpot) a roast they were bland.

I used to love a roast, with potatoes, carrots....not so much lately, but I know that I will buy another one, one of these days and try again!

@Mom2Dogs Try my recipe doubled for a 4 lb roast.  Yum!!!  Apparently, rump roasts are bland and they need a nudge!

Honored Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

Rump roast in the summer? Sounds too hot to have.

@ahoymate It was in the crock pot.  DH was "grilled out".  He works too much to have a main dish salad.  You have to do something.

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

I can't believe some posters. Seriously? Criticizing what someone chooses to make for dinner. 

@RetRN Honey, all of you are fine.  They're in a lot of heat.  I'm in the Applachian mtns, with a breeze and air conditioning to boot.  We just all have to hold hands.Smiley Happy

Thank you for being kind enough to stand with me.  We just needed some iron and B vitamins.Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I add a packet of onion soup mix (or a partial packet) to most every piece of beef, chicken or pork that I cook in the slow cooker....you're right that it really adds a lot of flavor. The same can be said (IMO) about cream of mushroom soup - the flavor and a great gravy!

You've made me hungry for a roast but I've been putting off buying one since the price of beef is so high right now. Nothing wrong with cooking one in the summer, especially in the crock pot!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG    I think we had a conversation some time back when I complained about crockpot cooked roasts being dry and bland.  You made some suggestions.  Sounds like yours turned out okay but I'll never cook another roast using this method.  I think the water (liquid) just boils the essence out of the meat...the fat and flavor.  Meat is precious now, too much so to ruin in the Crock-Pot.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 , ITA.

A long time ago I realized that just about everything you put in a crockpot ends up tasting exactly the same. Just plain blah.

If I'm gonna slow roast something, it'll be in the oven.

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

I can't believe some posters. Seriously? Criticizing what someone chooses to make for dinner. 

@RetRN I don't see that as criticizing.  She simply remarked on.  Nothing wrong with that.  

Honored Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

We usually use an English roast instead of rump roast but they are both good.  The pack of Liptons' beefy onion soup makes all the difference!  We use it for meatloaf and baked steak also.

Roast beef - we add potatoes, carrots, turnips, sweet potatoes and sometimes an apple - gives it a good flavor.

@KathyM23 I had to look up English roast.  I never heard of that.  When I was growing up we had a lot of arm roasts and I think they are the same cut.  

My mother never made a pot roast in her entire life.  She always roasted them in foil in an old enameled roaster or if a rib roast, just on a rack open with no foil.  They were always delicious with carrots, potatoes, celery and onions around them.

We had rump roasts, rib roasts and arm roasts.  ALL of the chuck went into burger meat along with some other cuts and it was super lean.