Honored Contributor

Re: Unbelievable Crockpot Pot Roast

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ECBG.  Usually whatever is on sale.  I don't cook beef very often, I mostly eat chicken.0

@Kachina624,I always write my "menu" and grocery list following the sale unless it's a special meal.

The most tender cuts are usually grilled or baked.  As you move to the less tender, you need a liquid to aide the tenderizing.  Rump roasts, chuck roasts, and  stew meat all need moisture.  You might want to pick up a few cans of beef broth when you buy them. 

I like to pick up sirloin steaks on sale for pepper steak.

Chicken doesn't need moisture, unless it's in the recipe.

This recipe is SO good.  I used to make it for our family of four as well as for company.  It was a giant hit with my advanced foods classes. (They didn't get the wine step, of course.).

Reheats well because of the moisture.

Chicken Cacciatore

2 cans recipe cut tomatoes and liquid.

1 lg. can tomato sauce

1/2 onion cut up

1/2 c bite size mushrooms

1 chopped green or red bell pepper

1 pepper cut in half strips.

1/2 cup white zin (optional)

1/2 Tbs. oregano

1 Tsp. basil

Grated parmesan cheese 

4 cooked chicken pieces off the bone in bite sizes.

Cooked spaghetti or small egg noodles, tossed with butter or olive oil to prevent sticking.

1. Combine all items but the chicken and noodles, and cheese in a large sauce pan. 
  2. Bring to a soft boil, then lower to simmer until vegetables are tender and the liquid has reduced, about 20-30 minutes.
  3. Add chicken pieces and continue to warm, about 10- 15 minutes.
  4. Serve over hot pasta with grated parmesan cheese.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624.........store the leftovers in the roast broth, if you have enough liquid on your roast when you cook it, you should have plenty of broth leftover too.  Warm it up slowly as not to boil off any of the broth when you re-heat it.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I'll definitely try the chicken recipe.  I like to make a dish like that, then eat it reheated for 3-4 days or until it's gone.  Thanks.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Sounds good, @ECBG. I never thought about sauteing the onion prior to adding it to the pot. I will try that next time, I love sauteed onions. YUM!

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the recipe.  I'm either going to make this for supper tomorrow or the below creamy chicken noodle soup if I am indeed coming down with strep or a cold.  My body hasn't decided which yet.  I'm praying for the roast, but what my body decides....hmmmmmm.  I'm drinking chicken broth now praying for a break!

https://www.thereciperebel.com/creamy-instant-pot-chicken-noodle-soup-recipe-video/

This Creamy Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe is a healthy dinner recipe that's easy enough for any day of the week! It's made in the pressure cooker which means BIG flavour and quick cooking. Loaded with vegetables and easily made dairy free or vegetarian. Includes step by step recipe video. | instant pot recipe | pressure cooker | healthy recipe | vegetables | spinach | pasta | one pot #onepot #instantpot #instantpotrecipe #pressurecooker