Honored Contributor

Unbelievable Crockpot Pot Roast

I made the most delicious mushroom pot roast today in the crock pot. The entire roast pulled apart and there's lots of gravy.

3-4 lb. rump roast

2 Tbsp oil

2 cans mushroom soup

1 lg onion, coursely chopped

Water to equal 2 cans plus 1 cup

1 enveloupe Lipton Onion Soup mix

2 Tb Worcestershire sauce

Wash roast and pat dry.

In large skillet. sear the roast on all sides.

Remove to sprayed crock pot

Sautee' the onion lightly and add to the crock pot 

Pour mushroom soup and onion soup mix over.

Add worcestershire sauce.

Add water.

Cook on low 8 hrs.  Gravy may have to be thickened while roast rests.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Unbelievable Crockpot Pot Roast

Sounds delicious!   We used to make it by adding wine instead of water and adding onions and carrots to the pot.  

Honored Contributor

@Nadine O wrote:

Sounds delicious!   We used to make it by adding wine instead of water and adding onions and carrots to the pot.  

@Nadine OI thought about wine, but with the mushroom soup and the amount of liquid to tenderize the roast, with the amount wine needed, I would have had a drunk roast!!  LOL!

Valued Contributor

Sounds delicious.  I also like Using golden mushroom soup in place of regular mushroom soup.  Yummy.

Honored Contributor

Any time I use a canned soup I add a shot or two of Vermouth or some wine.  It really cuts the sweetness and blandness of the soup.  A squirt of lemon or even a tablespoon of good mild vinegar will work as well.

Honored Contributor

@Fiero Woman wrote:

Sounds delicious.  I also like Using golden mushroom soup in place of regular mushroom soup.  Yummy.

Me too, richer flavor and bigger pieces of mushrooms.

Super Contributor

Lol.  Thank you.  I needed that laugh today.  We only used 1 can of soup and 1 can of red wine.    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG   Every time I cook a roast, beef or pork, in the slow cooker, it's very good the first serving but the leftovers are virtually inetible because they're so dry.  It's like this cooking method rings every bit of fat and moisture out of the meat.  The only thing I can do with it, is chop it up in the Vitamix, add mayo and chili sauce for a sandwich spread.

Do you have this problem?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ECBG   Every time I cook a roast, beef or pork, in the slow cooker, it's very good the first serving but the leftovers are virtually inetible because they're so dry.  It's like this cooking method rings every bit of fat and moisture out of the meat.  The only thing I can do with it, is chop it up in the Vitamix, add mayo and chili sauce for a sandwich spread.

Do you have this problem?

@Kachina624,No I don't.  Sorry you're having this.  Generally, pot roasts always have liquid added so the meat will tenderize.  Adding a can of beef broth should do it.  If it's a tougher cut, you'll need two cans.

There is definately a "best" time with a crock pot, although, they say you can't over cook.  

What cuts are you using?

Honored Contributor

@ECBG.  Usually whatever is on sale.  I don't cook beef very often, I mostly eat chicken.0

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment