Respected Contributor

UPCOMING FALL & WINTER HOLIDAY 2018 APPETIZERS

I thought it might be nice to get a thread going on appetizers for the festive season that is approaching rapidly.  Below is my initial  contribution.

CHEESE  

from the 1973 edition of The Nero Wolf Cook Book by Rex Stout  & the Editors of The Viking Press  page 146

2  8 oz packages cream cheese

1 TBSP grated Romano cheese

1 green pepper, minced

1/2 cup chopped shallots

1 TBSP caraway seeds

1 tsp poppy seeds

3 TBSP sweet Hungarian paprika

2 TBSP butter (I use unsalted.)

6 anchovies, minced

1/2 tsp dry mustard (I use Coleman's.)

2 tsps chopped capers

1 TBSP cognac

Bring the cream cheese to room temperature and blend in the grated Romano cheese.  Add the green pepper to the cheese with the shallots, caraway and poppy seeds, and paprika.  Blend well.  Soften the butter and add to the mixture with the anchovies, mixing well.  Stir in the mustard, capers, and cognac.  Fill small crocks with the cheese, cover tightly, and store in the refrigerater at least 1 week before serving.  (Makes about 3 cups)

Respected Contributor

Re: UPCOMING FALL & WINTER HOLIDAY 2018 APPETIZERS

@aroc3435 Great idea!!!!!! i'm sure lots of us will be going to things, where a food contribution is needed.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love this baked artichoke and spinach dip with pita chips:

4 cloves garlic

10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained

14-oz can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped

10 oz Alfredo sauce

1 cup shredded mozzarella

1/3 cup grated Parmesan

8 oz softened cream cheese

Roast garlic in oven-safe bowl at 350 degree in oven for 25 minutes.  Cool and squeeze garlic from skins into bowl.  Mix in rest of ingredients and bake for 30 minutes.  Serve warm (I like to transfer it to a small slow cooker).  

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter  Oh, the addition of the Alfredo sauce and the roasted garlic are new variations on an old favorite for me.  I'm jazzed!  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

HOISIN CHICKEN LETTUCE CUPS

1 pound ground chicken
1 bunch green onion chopped (white and light green parts only)
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 T fresh ginger, peeled and chopped fine
8 oz can sliced water chestnuts cut into slivers
1 head butter lettuce
2 t peanut oil
1/3 cup Hoisin sauce
2 T soy sauce
1/2 T Chili Garlic sauce (or more to taste)

Heat wok and when almost smoking add oil and chicken.  Stir fry until chicken is cooked through.  Add ginger and garlic and cook 2 minutes more.

Add Hoisin, soy sauce and Chili Garlic sauce.  Mix well.  Stir in water chestnuts.

Serve chicken in lettuce cups and garnish with green onions.  

Valued Contributor

Anne Burrell’s Caponata 

This is such a good recipe.  I find the key is to do all your chopping and measuring before starting to cook. Have everything all laid out and ready to go. 

Serve with toasted baguette slices or even a crusty garlic bread.

It is best made a day ahead and then brought to room temperature before serving.

1 large eggplant, peeled, alternating with 1-inch strips of skin left on, cut into 1-inch dice

Extra-virgin olive oil

Kosher salt

1 large red onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice

Pinch crushed red pepper flakes

1 fennel bulb, cut into 1/2-inch dice

3 ribs celery, cut into 1/2-inch dice

6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

1 red and 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice

2 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup tomato paste

2 tablespoons sugar

1/4 cup red wine vinegar

1/4 cup golden raisins

1/4 cup capers

1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted

1/2 bunch mint, cut into chiffonade

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. In a large bowl, toss the eggplant generously with olive oil and salt, to taste. Spread out on a baking sheet and roast until the eggplant is soft and mushy, about 15 to 20 minutes. Reserve.
  3. Coat a wide deep pot with olive oil. Toss in the onion and crushed red pepper and season with salt, to taste. Cook over medium-high heat until the onions are soft and aromatic, about 8 to 10 minutes.
  4. Add the fennel, celery and garlic and cook for another 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the peppers and cook for another 5 to 6 minutes. Add the zucchini, season with salt, to taste, and cook until the zucchini and all the veggies are soft and aromatic and starting to come together as a stew, about 5 to 6 minutes. Toss in the eggplant, 1/2 cup of water and the tomato paste. Cook until the water has evaporated. Dissolve the sugar in the vinegar in a small bowl and add it to the mixture. Stir in the raisins, capers, pine nuts and mint. Cook for another 5 to 6 minutes.
  5. Let cool and transfer the caponata to a serving bowl. Serve immediately or even better tomorrow or the next day.
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

Here are a few recipes....one beverage which is great for Fall gatherings.....

HOT CIDER

6 cups Apple cider

1 cup Amaretto

cinnamon sticks

orange slices

Put all in crock pot and warm; then put on simmer to serve.

Or heat on stove and then add to crock on simmer.

PEPPERONI APPETIZERS

1 loaf snack-size rye bread

1 (8 oz) pkg. cream cheese, softened 

1 can cream of celery soup

4 ozs.pepperoni, sliced and cut in small pieces

Mix cream cheese and soup (undiluted) together well.  Add chopped pepperoni mixing again.  Place one teaspoon of mixture on slice of bread.  Place on cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 10 minutes.  Makes about 4 dozen.

MARINARA SAUCE WITH BAKED CHEESE

8 ozs. fresh mozzarella cheese, cubed

2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil 

2 cups chunky marinara sauce

Baguette slices

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place cheese in shallow 2 quart casserole dish.  Sprinkle with basil.  Spoon marinara around cheese.  Bake 8-10 minutes or until cheese is hot and bubbly.  Serve with baguette slices for dipping.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Very Easy Ham Pinwheels  

circa late 1950's/early '60's from my Mom

12 ounces of cream cheese, softened 

1 pound of good deli Virginia style ham, sliced thin, but not "shaved"

2 Tbsp prepared horseradish (or more if you like more heat)

1/4 cup minced fresh parsley

Thoroughly mix the cream cheese with the horseradish and parsley; spread a layer of this mixture on each slice of ham.  Roll up each slice lengthwise, place seam down on a platter and chill thoroughly overnight.

The next day slice in rounds about an inch or so in diameter.  Pierce each wheel with a toothpick to serve.

One nice variation is using rare sliced deli roast beef in lieu of the ham.  

Another is to use real sliced turkey breast (not pressed or formed) from the deli. This time, no horseradish.  Instead you mix the cream cheese with a little mayonnaise and jellied cranberry sauce.  The turkey variation might not look as pretty since the slices are apt to split since it's real roasted turkey breast and not the formed turkey loaf.