Respected Contributor

Re: UNSTUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS- REALLY GOOD AND EASY

I made these tonight and they are delish!!! A keeper that will be made again. Thanks, OP.

Esteemed Contributor

I made this again this week and I forgot that my mother's family used tomato soup instead of tomato sauce. I added the soup the second day and the taste was exactly like my Grandmother's without all the hard work!!

Regular Contributor

On 12/24/2014 colliegirls said:

I made this again this week and I forgot that my mother's family used tomato soup instead of tomato sauce. I added the soup the second day and the taste was exactly like my Grandmother's without all the hard work!!

I love this recipe -- my hubbie doesn't really care for cabbage, so there is plenty for me. I love to take it for lunch. I'll have to try usiing tomato soup next time. I also add a chopped bell pepper sometime to add extra flavor.

I love your name colliegirls! Do you have collies? We have a collie girl and just love her!

Trusted Contributor

I'm going to substitute chicken since I don't eat red meat and rarely have turkey.

Thanks for sharing. My Mom used to make cabbage rolls that were outstanding and a cabbage borscht. (spelling?). It was awesome. I'm not as accomplished in the kitchen as she was, though. This recipe seems easy enough.

I love the idea of adding rice or noodles.

Hopefully, I won't mess it up! {#emotions_dlg.blush}

Trusted Contributor

On 12/24/2014 duster said:

I love this recipe -- my hubbie doesn't really care for cabbage, so there is plenty for me. I love to take it for lunch. I'll have to try usiing tomato soup next time. I also add a chopped bell pepper sometime to add extra flavor.

I love your name colliegirls! Do you have collies? We have a collie girl and just love her!

Duster,

I grew up with a collie... sable and white. I loved him so much. Wonderful dogs, wonderful and loyal pets. I would also take him for a walk and kids would run up to us thinking he was Lassie. He loved all the special attention.

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/24/2014 duster said:

Thank you, Duster! I have had collies and shelties all of my life, growing up and married...they are such wonderful dogs!

Honored Contributor

I love cabbage soup and have made it a number of ways, including similar to yours. Thanks!

Respected Contributor

On 3/9/2014 doglover3 said:

Almost Cabbage Roll Casserole ( by autumnleaf 9/27/02) reposted by tiny2 7/7/08

1 lb. lean ground meat
3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 large chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
28oz. can tomato sauce (unsalted) or 3- 8oz. cans + 1/2 can water
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. dry mustard
8 cups coarsely chopped cabbage (about 1 medium head)

In large bowl, mix beef, rice, onion, garlic, salt & pepper. In
another bowl, stir together tomato sauce, vinegar, brown sugar and
mustard.
Layer 1/3 of the cabbage in bottom of 3qt. casserole.
Arrange 1/2 of the meat mixture on top. Cover with 1/3 of the
cabbage. Top with remaining beef mixture & remaining cabbage.
Pour tomato sauce mixture over top, but do not stir.
Casserole will be full. Cover. Place on cookie sheets to catch
any spills.
Bake 325 for 2 hrs. without stirring. Do not uncover so the steam
will cook the rice & meat.
Turn off heat and let sit in over for 15-30 min or until all liquid
is absorbed.

Because this recipe uses raw meat, I would cook it before freezing.

this is the one I tried, but I omitted the brown sugar.

Super Contributor

I'm glad this thread is still going. I am going to make it for family this week. I can't eat it, but it comes from my heritage and I know what it will taste like! BTW, in my home ketchup was used to flavor-up the filling when making cabbage rolls, so I'll add a dollop of that to the pot. I'll cook it in the slow cooker. - Bird

Trusted Contributor

I made it last weekend using the original poster's recipe but I added a half cup of uncooked long grain rice. It was very flavorful and the leftovers the next day were even better. This is a keeper for me.