1 large chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
28oz. can tomato sauce (unsalted) or 3- 8oz. cans + 1/2 can water
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. dry mustard
8 cups coarsely chopped cabbage (about 1 medium head)

In large bowl, mix beef, rice, onion, garlic, salt & pepper. In
another bowl, stir together tomato sauce, vinegar, brown sugar and
mustard.
Layer 1/3 of the cabbage in bottom of 3qt. casserole.
Arrange 1/2 of the meat mixture on top. Cover with 1/3 of the
cabbage. Top with remaining beef mixture & remaining cabbage.
Pour tomato sauce mixture over top, but do not stir.
Casserole will be full. Cover. Place on cookie sheets to catch
any spills.
Bake 325 for 2 hrs. without stirring. Do not uncover so the steam
will cook the rice & meat.
Turn off heat and let sit in over for 15-30 min or until all liquid
is absorbed.

Because this recipe uses raw meat, I would cook it before freezing.

This is my recipe also. I brown the meat first then I put it all in the skillet and cook on top of the stove until the rice is done and the cabbage is tender. Quick and easy! Delicious!

Super Contributor

Re: UNSTUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS- REALLY GOOD AND EASY

On 3/8/2014 vicki is ok said:

Not sure if this recipe has been posted before, but wanted to share in case it hasn't. Very easy to make and you can embellish it however you like by adding other seasoning. I also added one cup rice and simmered as instructed below.

UN~STUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS

I saw this easy, healthy recipe and had to try it. I'm glad I did!

Cabbage is a superfood with lots of nutrients! Among many other health benefits, it is known for healing stomach ulcers and preventing cancer --especially colon cancer. It is a very alkaline forming food. Eat it often!

Ingredients:

1 1/2 to 2 pounds lean ground beef or turkey
1 tablespoon oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small cabbage, chopped
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt

Preparation:

In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the ground beef and onion and cook, stirring, until ground beef is no longer pink and onion is tender.
Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.

Add the chopped cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, pepper, and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until cabbage is tender.
Yield: Serves 6 to 8

This is a once a week dish in our house, husband on WW's (low points) and filling! I use stewed tomatoes and I LAYER it as follows-cabbage, onion, browned turkey meat, stewed tomatoes.I put this in my Ninja3 in 1 and walk away! We love it. I sometimes sprinkle worcestershire sauce on the tomatoes. Enjoy.

Super Contributor

I caught this circulating on FB too, and it's on tonight's menu! Loved stuffed cabbage but don't always feel like doing all the work. Hoping this will be the perfect alternative!

Honored Contributor

The recipe sounds good. It may be the first recipe that I try when I receive today's TS. I don't like to chop and all that. I will do the layering like Racalamb.

"And suddenly you just know it's time to start something new
And trust the magic of Beginnings..."
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for posting these recipes! I have copied them to my file and will definitely make them!

Super Contributor

BTW - here's the pic going around with the recipe. I'm about to start mine shortly. I'm going to use quinoa instead of rice, just to get a little more of a nutrition boost.

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1374191_737528776260620_1366340393_n.jpg

Respected Contributor

On 3/9/2014 Zhills said:
On 3/9/2014 doglover3 said:

Almost Cabbage Roll Casserole ( by autumnleaf 9/27/02) reposted by tiny2 7/7/08<br /> <br /> 1 lb. lean ground meat<br /> 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice<br /> 1 large chopped onion<br /> 2 cloves garlic, minced<br /> 1/2 tsp. salt<br /> 1/4 tsp. pepper<br /> 28oz. can tomato sauce (unsalted) or 3- 8oz. cans + 1/2 can water<br /> 1/4 cup cider vinegar<br /> 1/4 cup brown sugar<br /> 2 tsp. dry mustard<br /> 8 cups coarsely chopped cabbage (about 1 medium head)<br /> <br /> In large bowl, mix beef, rice, onion, garlic, salt & pepper. In<br /> another bowl, stir together tomato sauce, vinegar, brown sugar and<br /> mustard.<br /> Layer 1/3 of the cabbage in bottom of 3qt. casserole.<br /> Arrange 1/2 of the meat mixture on top. Cover with 1/3 of the<br /> cabbage. Top with remaining beef mixture & remaining cabbage.<br /> Pour tomato sauce mixture over top, but do not stir.<br /> Casserole will be full. Cover. Place on cookie sheets to catch<br /> any spills.<br /> Bake 325 for 2 hrs. without stirring. Do not uncover so the steam<br /> will cook the rice & meat.<br /> Turn off heat and let sit in over for 15-30 min or until all liquid<br /> is absorbed.<br /> <br /> Because this recipe uses raw meat, I would cook it before freezing.

This is my recipe also. I brown the meat first then I put it all in the skillet and cook on top of the stove until the rice is done and the cabbage is tender. Quick and easy! Delicious!

Zhills and luvsbulldogs, I too have been making this since autumnleaf first posted it back in 2002, always a family favorite as well as a crowd pleaser when anyone comes. You would think they would want a nice fancy dish but no, ask for this one.. I make it exactly as she wrote it but funny you mention you brown the rice, I do this with almost all other rice dishes. I also make this using green peppers instead of the cabbage but for others the cabbage goes over better.

This recipe was a board favorite here for many many years and think it is in the Q cook book that Hollee started here and posted on that website so others can get the old time recipes from posters both past and present, so many really really good recipes there.

all tried and true recipes from people I get a lot of recipes from still.

http://bb-recipes.com/contributors.htm I haven't seen Hollee on here in ages. She is such a nice person.

Respected Contributor

sorry double post

Honored Contributor

i dont put rice in it, but i have served it over rice and it is a nice meal, especially if you are too lazy ,too busy, or too tired to stuff the cabbage leaves! Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes, just to be fancy, I cut the cabbage into wedges with enough core to hold them together and start steaming them in another skillet while I assemble the other ingredients. I place the wedges on top of the mixture and serve a wedge of cabbage with sauce over it. It look prettier on the plate.....tastes the same!