Super Contributor

UNSTUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS- REALLY GOOD AND EASY

Not sure if this recipe has been posted before, but wanted to share in case it hasn't. Very easy to make and you can embellish it however you like by adding other seasoning. I also added one cup rice and simmered as instructed below.

UN~STUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS

I saw this easy, healthy recipe and had to try it. I'm glad I did!

Cabbage is a superfood with lots of nutrients! Among many other health benefits, it is known for healing stomach ulcers and preventing cancer --especially colon cancer. It is a very alkaline forming food. Eat it often!

Ingredients:

1 1/2 to 2 pounds lean ground beef or turkey
1 tablespoon oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small cabbage, chopped
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt

Preparation:

In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the ground beef and onion and cook, stirring, until ground beef is no longer pink and onion is tender.
Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.

Add the chopped cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, pepper, and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until cabbage is tender.
Yield: Serves 6 to 8

Esteemed Contributor

Re: UNSTUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS- REALLY GOOD AND EASY

This recipe sounds great - I intend to try it. Thanks!

Contributor

Sounds good thank you for the recipe
Super Contributor

I'm not sure if I was the one who originally posted it, but it's a recipe we love around here. One of my friends posted it on FB a while back and i've made it at least 4 or 5 times since then. It's so much easier than prepping the cabbage rolls and my husband just schmushes them all up in his plate anyway, so why bother?

Regular Contributor

I don't know if my family will like this or not, but I know I will. Guess we will find out.

Super Contributor

Ooooh… I almost forgot! I add a cup of rice while it's cooking. There is plenty of liquid to accommodate the rice and it completes the meal for us.

Trusted Contributor

I just got this recipe off of FB Tuesday and noted the suggestions of some of the reviewers who had either made this recipe or were old hands at making cabbage rolls. Some of the suggestions that I thought would be helpful were:

adding caraway seed

adding a cap or two of Apple cider vinegar

adding kidney beans, rice, or egg noodles

layering lasagna- style with meat/ rice/tomatoes and top with tomato soup or sauce

Super Contributor

Thanks for sharing. I love stuffed cabbage but making it takes so much time. Intend to try this before the snow melts!

Frequent Contributor

Vicki, thank you so much. My mother used to make stuffed cabbage rolls but I never got the recipe from her before she died many years ago. This looks so much easier. I am going to try it.

Super Contributor

On 3/8/2014 house cat said:

I'm not sure if I was the one who originally posted it, but it's a recipe we love around here. One of my friends posted it on FB a while back and i've made it at least 4 or 5 times since then. It's so much easier than prepping the cabbage rolls and my husband just schmushes them all up in his plate anyway, so why bother?

You know I thought it was on here at one time, but could not find it. Made it and it really was good. I wasn't sure where I'd copied it from, but wanted to post here just in case someone had posted it and I'm thinking it might have been you. Thanks so much for the recipe!!