Respected Contributor

Re: Two in one Pizza question

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal

A real "quick and dirty" way to make pizzas is to use warmed-up or toasted split English muffins, top with whatever  sauce you like, then add cheese and other things that you like and bake until they look done.

Or buy the Boboli brand of large or individual-sized  pizza shells at the grocery store and top with your favorite things.  There are good marinara sauces in the refrigerated dairy section.

My preference, though, is to find a good local pizza shop and get it ready-made!

Super Contributor

Jim Lahey's recipe for no-knead pizza dough is great (see his cookbook, My Pizza).  It's not too tough at all or hard to chew through, which I know is a concern for some people (like my elderly parents).  I really love its simplicity, its lightness and tolerable chewiness.  Sometimes, I add a wee bit of sugar, just because we like it, but it's not crucial.  I like to whip it up in a small Ninja blender using the dough blade, store in a large Rubbermaid container in the fridge, and cut off whatever size(s) piece(s) needed.  I love the waffle iron, and bake up the crust in our Belgian waffle maker, and add desired toppings afterwards. You can bake the crust (dough) in the traditional ways, even in a skillet, as you would a pancake.  Whatever floats your boat.  It's a really easy crust to make, and tastes delicious.  Here's the recipe from the Serious Eats web site:

Ingredients:

500 grams (17 ½ ounces or about 3 ¾ cups) all-purpose flour, plus more for shaping the dough

1 gram (1/4 teaspoon) active dry yeast

16 grams (2 teaspoons) fine sea salt

350 grams (1 ½ cups) water

Directions:

In a medium bowl, thoroughly blend the flour, yeast, and salt. Add the water                  and, with a wooden spoon or your hands, mix thoroughly.

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel and allow it to rise at room temperature (about 72°F) for 18 hours or until it has more than doubled. It will take longer in a chilly room and less time in a very warm one.

Flour a work surface and scrape out the dough. Divide it into 4 equal parts and shape them: For each portion, start with the right side of the dough and pull it toward the center; then do the same with the left, then the top, then the bottom. (The order doesn’t actually matter; what you want is four folds.) Shape each portion into a round and turn seam side down. Mold the dough into a neat circular mound. The mounds should not be sticky; if they are, dust with more flour.

If you don’t intend to use the dough right away, wrap the balls individually in plastic and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Return to room temperature by leaving them out on the counter, covered in a damp cloth, for 2 to 3 hours before needed.

Super Contributor

I think that most grocery stores make their own pizza doughs and they have them pre packaged with the salami and gourmet cheeses.  I think they are good and you can quickly roll them thick or thin.  My favorite pizza is with pepperoni, onion and a little green pepper.  I'm kind of a sauce snob since my family owned pizza shops but you can find a good one in the store.  Make sure you use good cheese.  Makes a world of difference.  I love grande but it is expensive.  Hope yours turn out well!!

Respected Contributor

Hi, @qualitygal!

As

Like @Ruthie-Roo, I've used Jim Lahey's no knead dough recipe, but if I want pizza more quickly, I'll either use Mark Bittman's or another one I have, using my stand mixer. I too use a pizza stone.

Cheese makes a difference. I throw some aged provolone and sharp cheddar into a food processor, and add that along w/ mozzarella. Delish!

Happy pizza making, @qualitygal!

Muddling through...
Esteemed Contributor

I frequently made my own pizza dough, but have not done so in awhile.  It was always perfect.  I used the recipe in Wolfgang Puck's early cookbook.

I think I got lazy, however, and now use Naan bread for my Friday night pizza for me and DH.  I get the roast garlic version in my store's deli.  

Used to buy the Boboli, but had trouble finding it.

We like a simple pizza with good cheese, fresh tomatoes, spinach, lots of spices and, sometimes, thinly sliced chicken.

We both love it!

Regular Contributor

@qualitygal

If you want to make a quick, simple thin crust pizza, try using a 10" flour tortilla for the crust. We first had it that way at a restaurant on vacation. We like veggie pizzas & frequently use veggies from our garden in the summer. Fresh mozzarella & feta cheese are our favorite cheeses.

Super Contributor

Witchy Woman wrote:

I frequently made my own pizza dough, but have not done so in awhile.  It was always perfect.  I used the recipe in Wolfgang Puck's early cookbook.

I think I got lazy, however, and now use Naan bread for my Friday night pizza for me and DH.  I get the roast garlic version in my store's deli.  

Used to buy the Boboli, but had trouble finding it.

We like a simple pizza with good cheese, fresh tomatoes, spinach, lots of spices and, sometimes, thinly sliced chicken.

We both love it!

@Witchy Woman  I've frquently used Wolfgang Puck's pizza crust recipe, but like to switch it up sometimes (as I previously mentioned the Jim Lahey recipe).  Regardless of whose recipe it is, I like to let it rest/ferment a little longer than called for, so as to hopefully develop a tastier crust.  Doing so in the fridge slows down the process, but seems to work very well for us.  

I have to stop reading posts about food -- it's lunch time, and I'm getting hungier and hungrier!  @Witchy Woman, your idea of a simple, fresh pizza with tomatoes, spinach, etc., is making me crazy!  ;-)  LOL  Sounds deliiiiicious.

Valued Contributor

I use mostly Naan bread.Sprinkle a litlle olive oil so all the toppings cook better.I always use minced onions and oregano in addition to other ingredients.

Esteemed Contributor

I usually purchase a take and bake pizza.  We have tried many and seem to prefer Aldi's above others.  I kind of clean out my refrigerator with them.  If there is leftover chicken, pork, beef, etc, it goes on the pizza.  Pieces of onion, peppers, black olives, banana peppers, mushrooms,  sun dried tomatoes-what ever is in the fridge gets place on the pizza.   I top with a little more cheese, Italian seasonings, fresh ground cracked black pepper, garlic powder, a drizzle of olive oil and on to the oven rack or if the weather is permitting, on the grill.  If fresh basil is in season, I sprinkle a chiffonade over the top before serving.   I put aluminum foil on the bottom of my oven and change it after making the pizza.  I always keep some pepperoni in the fridge and some Jimmy Dean sausage sprinkles in the freezer.  If I have bacon that needs to be used, I will fix it in the oven and use it.  Kind of uses up our leftovers and makes a quick and easy dinner on Friday nights for us.

Super Contributor

I use pitas or the packages with the yeast already in the flour. Mix with water, let rise a little and spread out as you like..thick or thin.  Beyyt Crocker makes a good one in a pinch