Honored Contributor

Re: Turkey that has been frozen

@Flatbush wrote:

I have often bought an extra frozen turkey and used it the following year when there was a very good bargain.

Never a problem. This year I don't see the sales I've seen in past years, so I most likely will not get an extra one for next year.

Your turkey will be fine.

@Flatbush 

One year I had bought a turkey, my husband's company gave him a turkey and my company gave me a turkey.   We used one within about 8 months and the other the following year.  All were just fine!

Respected Contributor

I would worry the two years thing would apply to a deep freezer not a normal freezer in a refrigerator?  But I am sure its fine.

I always cook my turkey in a bag but this year I am trying a smoked turkey I bought from Sams club,they have good reviews so I am hoping it will taste good, I also got a ham.

Esteemed Contributor

From Gladdotcom (the food storage people)

In both cases, you'll want to store the turkey in the deepest part of the freezer. When properly stored, raw turkey pieces should stay good in the freezer for up to 9 months, while whole raw turkeys last for a year when frozen. Cooked turkey pieces last in the freezer for 4-6 months.

@bmorechick 

Trusted Contributor

@bmorechick  I'm doing that with a 22 pounder. Purchased it last year with my other one at Aldi when they had an amazing price on BB. Friends of mine also bought a few and will be using their year old turkey next week as well.

I've done this for years and no difference in taste, texture....nothing. 

The expiration date on mine reads 2024, so.....no issue at all using it. Smiley Happy

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Occasional Contributor

I have purchased a turkey for Thanksgiving every year even tho I already have one in the freezer.  That way, if something comes up and I can't purchase one when the holiday comes around, I already have one waiting.  I have never had a problem cooking a year old turkey.  Have done that for over 40 years.  Way before they got pricey, I always wanted one in reserve.....if I needed a meat for a large dinner, party, etc., I would never have to worry about what to serve.  

Honored Contributor

@spumoni99 wrote:

I always cook my turkey in a bag but this year I am trying a smoked turkey I bought from Sams club,they have good reviews so I am hoping it will taste good, I also got a ham.

@spumoni99 

Several years ago I singlehandedly cooked Thanksgiving Day dinner for 24 people .... I had a large buffet table, and everyone served themselves.  

In addition to the "standard" turkey, I also bought a small ham, and a fully cooked smoked turkey.   Didn't want to run out of meat!  

The smoked turkey got the most raves .... and all I had to do was heat it up.  

Your comment reminded me of that smoked bird ... maybe I'll get one this year, too.