Respected Contributor

Re: Turkey that has been frozen

I have often bought an extra frozen turkey and used it the following year when there was a very good bargain.

Never a problem. This year I don't see the sales I've seen in past years, so I most likely will not get an extra one for next year.

Your turkey will be fine.

Respected Contributor

@Flatbush  If you have a Food Lion in your area, with a 30$ purchase, their brand turkey was 37cents a pound.  I looked at a 12 pound bird that was about 5$. Most were between 12 and 15 pounds...

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bmorechick @Yes, once. I had a turkey in my freezer we had not used in just over a year, maybe a year and two or three months.I did not like the texture of the bird. It was chewy and not very good. It was factory wrapped. Sorry I can't remember what brand it was. I'm glad it wasn't used for Thanksgiving.

Respected Contributor

You know how we always want everything to be perfect on holidays?

We buy the best ingredients, work hard to prepare them & sometimes the meal is meh, at best.

But then during the year when times are lean, in total desperation you pull a turkey out of the freezer that's been in there for so long that it seems like forever.

With fingers crossed & a shrug of resignation, you throw together a meal....and it's the best turkey dinner you've ever made.

Smiley Very Happy

Use the turkey! 

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

I'd bake the turkey. I'd just make sure to double up on my gravy recipe, just in case the texture is slightly off Woman Wink. But, I bet it will be just fine.

Trusted Contributor

I'm such a wreck serving anything that I'm not really sure about. Someone told me "when in doubt, don't"! So I've always followed that rule. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think your turkey would taste fine.

Since I started brining poultry (chicken and turkey) and pork roasts, I have had exceptional results with the taste and texture of the meat. I wished I had started brining 20 years ago. 

Whatever you chose to do, hope you have happy Thanksgiving.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Trusted Contributor

Your 1 year old frozen turkey is still good, we defrost our turkey in our large cooler with cold water instead of putting it in the frig and getting it all wet, and it takes up so much space. 

This is our 8th year of using the cooler method. 

Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

I'm chicken.........I'd buy a newer bird.

(all that work......cook for sandwiches after turkey day)

I would buy a fresh turkey also.  Turkeys are cheap reasonably priced.  

Honored Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

You know how we always want everything to be perfect on holidays?

We buy the best ingredients, work hard to prepare them & sometimes the meal is meh, at best.

But then during the year when times are lean, in total desperation you pull a turkey out of the freezer that's been in there for so long that it seems like forever.

With fingers crossed & a shrug of resignation, you throw together a meal....and it's the best turkey dinner you've ever made.

Smiley Very Happy

Use the turkey! 

@sabatini 

Great post ...     Woman LOL

Well, if Butterball says you can use a frozen turkey for up to 2 years ... I'd believe them.   They are sort of the "gold standard" when it comes to turkey advice, IMO.