Respected Contributor

So I have a 20 pound turkey thats been in my freezer for about a year. It's wrapped in the original wrapping and I wanted to use it this year but am reluctant because not sure how much it's degraded in taste. Has anyone here used a turkey that's been frozen for that long and of so, how did it taste. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Turkey that has been frozen

As long as the wrapping is tight so no air has gotten inside, and it's been frozen rock hard all this time, it should be fine.  

Esteemed Contributor

I'm chicken.........I'd buy a newer bird.

(all that work......cook for sandwiches after turkey day)

Valued Contributor

@bmorechick 

Oh nooooooooooooooooooo..

I'd be scared to feed that to anyone.

Trusted Contributor

@bmorechick We always cook at least two turkeys, one for the dinner and one for sandwiches later. Cook the older one for sandwiches, use a fresher turkey for dinner.

If it was only for hubby and I, I would go ahead and cook the older one for our dinner and not tell hubby. He always says to throw out the food that's been in the freezer for a couple months. He says it's no good. Unbeknown to him, I will cook food that's been frozen for longer than a couple months and he has no clue. Shhh, don't tell him. Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@bmorechick wrote:

So I have a 20 pound turkey thats been in my freezer for about a year. It's wrapped in the original wrapping and I wanted to use it this year but am reluctant because not sure how much it's degraded in taste. Has anyone here used a turkey that's been frozen for that long and of so, how did it taste. Thanks!

@bmorechick  

According to the Butterball Turkey Talk Line, you can keep a turkey stored in the freezer for up to two years, and it's still safe to cook.

I suggest you Google for lot's of information. 

Honored Contributor

Been there done this numerous times.  The turkey will taste just fine!  

Honored Contributor

You're fine.  I think a baking bag gives the most moist turkey breast as well as roasting on 325, not 350.

I never have a problem with dryness using this method.

Respected Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

@bmorechick wrote:

@bmorechick  

According to the Butterball Turkey Talk Line, you can keep a turkey stored in the freezer for up to two years, and it's still safe to cook.

I suggest you Google for lot's of information. 

Thanks to everyone and yes @mspatmac  I did the search and most sights sanctioned it as ok.  Wasn't too concerned about safe to eat but taste.  I'm still on the fence because I cooked a pot of black eyed peas a few weeks ago and used a ham hock that was frozen since May 2022 and the beans had a freezer burn taste and I surmised it was the ham😩☹️.  We ate them anyway. 

Respected Contributor

@ECBG @I have heard that from several folks and I think I will do the bag this year...especially for the separate turkey breast.