Honored Contributor

You need to ADD moisture to the turkey in the form of sour cream, either low fat or no fat, or yogurt and an egg along with the bread crumbs or whatever you use as a binder, and seasonings. The result will be kind of loose; than you form into a patty or balls and then put them in the freezer for a bit to firm up, then cook them. I do this all the time and they turn out really good and not dry. You can shred up other things like onions, mushrooms, what ever, to help bind them, too and those things will add moisture as well.

Respected Contributor

I add Frank's Red Hot to the meat before making patties. Buffalo Turkey Burger...I guess.

My local grocery store grinds it fresh daily, it's never dry.

Honored Contributor
On 1/4/2015 Vamp said:

Sooner, I'm confused by the first sentence in your post. Do you mean "PERFECT burger"?

BEEF! BEEF makes the perfect burger. At least for us. I use a lot of ground turkey and chicken, but for burgers I find that no matter what I do, turkey often ends up in a grilled patty tasting like--well--Turkey! If I put in a lot of flavorings it tastes like something other than grilled meat, and you don't get the grilling caramelization and taste I associate with a burger. I want grilled meat taste and turkey is still, turkey.

So we gave up on the turkey burger, and when I want a burger, I'm out for beef. but we do use a lot of ground turkey for other things. I just don't want that poultry taste you sometimes get with turkey between two burger bun halves of bread.

Respected Contributor

Here's what I do for a package of ground turkey or chicken (about 1.25 pounds):

I use a small mincer/chopper for this--finely chop or process a small onion, one clove garlic and one egg. Add seasonings to the wet mixture. I add one tsp. Montreal Steak seasoning. Mix the wet mixture into the ground poultry also mixing in some breadcrumbs. I don't measure but it's about a cup. You want a moist finished product. It's a little tricky to form into burgers or meatballs but if you wet your hands it goes easier. Cook as desired. Hope you like this, I do and have been making it for years.

Respected Contributor
Sooner, I could not agree more! Alas DH has gout and even the tiniest amount causes flare-ups.... I find it interesting that you are tasting that same wonky flavor that I do: Turkey is not my favorite, but I eat it.....when it comes to ground turkey, I am not a fan. Poodlepet2
Honored Contributor
On 1/4/2015 Poodlepet2 said: Sooner, I could not agree more! Alas DH has gout and even the tiniest amount causes flare-ups.... I find it interesting that you are tasting that same wonky flavor that I do: Turkey is not my favorite, but I eat it.....when it comes to ground turkey, I am not a fan. Poodlepet2

OH the poor baby! Tell him I am so sorry! How about pork? We've had some very good salmon burgers too!

And what is it about that taste? I guess maybe it is the turkey fat or something that we pick up on! I like turkey meat but that ground stuff often has that -- I don't know even how to describe the flavor!

Trusted Contributor

Even if beef is super lean its still not as healthy as Turkey. I eat a lot of turkey burgers. I don't even miss beef burgers. First of all, I don't buy the extra-extra lean/ zero fat. I buy the extra-lean which has about 8 grams of fat (which is still healthy). I season mine with garlic, salt, pepper - you can also use poultry seasoning. You can add some fat free/low sodium veggie broth to them. I make an avocado dressing out of fat free greek yogurt, add sliced tomato and sometimes sautéed or raw onion. Ground turkey is like a blank canvas and you can turn it into incredible things. I also make a meatloaf out of it and add: shredded red onion, shredded celery, shredded carrot, 2/3 cup of plain bread crumbs, 1/2 cup or fat free milk or veggie broth, salt, pepper and garlic. I top it with all different things (before cooking) such as tomato sauce or the standard meatloaf ketchup- mixed- with- mustard sauce. Everything comes out moist and delicious.

Respected Contributor
On 1/4/2015 Sooner said:

I have a recipe for the PERFECT turkey burger! They taste amazing and we love them! You take some great quality very lean ground beef, make patties of your preferred size and cook them done! They are WONDERFUL!

I just don't see the point in turkey burgers. They often taste like turkey and have a sort of odd taste that the above suggestions are trying to cover up. I like ground turkey a lot and use it alone or in combination with ground beef for meatloaf, meatballs, chili, etc.

But when it comes to a burger, I'm not a fan of turkey. I mean unless you are eating burgers 3 times a week, heck get some good ground beef

The key is getting really lean, good quality beef and NOT the pre-ground stuff in the store. Grind it yourself in a KitchenAid mixer attachment if you have to, but get really great beef to start off with! Ground beef should have great flavor, be fresh and lean, and if cooked in a skillet should have to have a little oil in the pan. Water and lots of grease should NOT run out in the pan.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} I agree. I tried for a couple of years to make a turkey burger that I liked. I never found a decent one so when I have a craving for a good burger I have the beef. They can't quite breed that gamey taste out of them. Roast turkey, turkey chili made with shredded roast turkey and turkey sandwiches are very tasty to me though.

Trusted Contributor
On 1/4/2015 tiny 2 said:
On 1/4/2015 Sooner said:

I have a recipe for the PERFECT turkey burger! They taste amazing and we love them! You take some great quality very lean ground beef, make patties of your preferred size and cook them done! They are WONDERFUL!

I just don't see the point in turkey burgers. They often taste like turkey and have a sort of odd taste that the above suggestions are trying to cover up. I like ground turkey a lot and use it alone or in combination with ground beef for meatloaf, meatballs, chili, etc.

But when it comes to a burger, I'm not a fan of turkey. I mean unless you are eating burgers 3 times a week, heck get some good ground beef

The key is getting really lean, good quality beef and NOT the pre-ground stuff in the store. Grind it yourself in a KitchenAid mixer attachment if you have to, but get really great beef to start off with! Ground beef should have great flavor, be fresh and lean, and if cooked in a skillet should have to have a little oil in the pan. Water and lots of grease should NOT run out in the pan.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} I agree. I tried for a couple of years to make a turkey burger that I liked. I never found a decent one so when I have a craving for a good burger I have the beef. They can't quite breed that gamey taste out of them. Roast turkey, turkey chili made with shredded roast turkey and turkey sandwiches are very tasty to me though.

Your correct, nothing replaces a great beef burger but I have to tell you that the turkey burgers that I make at home are never gamey tasting. I'm real turned off to the gamey taste and have had my share of gamey tasting turkey burgers when I eat out. I no longer order them. In addition, I can't eat left over chicken or turkey nor can I east turkey breast from the deli because I find them gamey tasting. I usually buy Purdue ground turkey and there is another brand (can't think of the name right now) but I buy both at either Hannefords, A & P or Stop & Shop. I cook them on a Le Creuset grill pan and even with no seasonings or added ingredients they do not taste gamey. I do find ground chicken to be gamey.

Trusted Contributor

I agree, beef burgers can't be beat, but I'll eat a Morningstar Farms Spicy Black Bean Burger before I'll eat a turkey burger. I don't have anything against turkey burgers, but I'm just not a fan.