Esteemed Contributor

I make the BEST grilled Thai turkey burgers. I would put them to a test over beef burgers any day!

Frequent Contributor

One way to help with dryness is to pan steam them. Use fillers like many have mentioned above, but instead of frying you can place a small wire rack in the bottom of a pan with water about halfway to the rack. Bring it to a boil place the patties on the rack and cover for 5 minutes, place you cheese on the patties and cover for another 1 to 2 minutes. I have a friend who then drops them in a smoking hot pan for a sear but it doesn't make that big a difference to me.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I eat a great deal of ground turkey, and only cook the ground breast meat . For a burger I grill the burger plain and right before it is ready to remove from the grill ( use a meat thermometer ) I pour low sodium teriyaki sauce over it then cover it with cheese. It is very tasty! By the way if you are looking for a meatloaf recipe made with ground turkey I have a couple.

Honored Contributor

I don't even like fresh turkey roasted for the holidays, so I was thrilled to read not long ago that there's not a whole lot of nutritional reason to eat turkey burgers over a good quality, lean beef burger.

I should probably care enough to read more, but since I eat a burger about twice a year, I'm going with the beef.

Trusted Contributor
On 1/4/2015 magicmoodz said:

I make the BEST grilled Thai turkey burgers. I would put them to a test over beef burgers any day!

I would love your recipe (so would my husband). Would you mind sharing?

Honored Contributor

I'm making turkey burgers tonight in fact. I have a great turkey meatloaf recipe I'm using and turning them into burgers.

ground turkey mixed with bread crumbs, roasted red peppers, garlic, parm cheese, parsley flakes, tad salt, pepper. I add a bit of dried sage too. I might thro in some old bay too.

serving these with some left over last night's mac & cheese (NO velveeta!).

Respected Contributor
Nationhood,I would love your recipe. There seems to b so little DH can have. He doesn't mind me cooking something separate for me, but I would far rather cook one meal that we both enjoy than cook two separate meals. I don't think I will ever crave ground turkey, but I am open to trying new recipes. Thanks, Poodlepet2
Contributor

The closest I've come is to saute some chopped onions and finely chopped mushrooms to add moisture. Also some red bell pepper could be added in the sauteing if you like. They'll all add moisture, then just add any seasonings you like.

Super Contributor

I make turkey burgers all the time, and don't do anything special at all, and they're always yummy & juicy!

You just need to season the heck out of both sides, & place in non-stick skillet over a bit more than medium-ish heat. (misted w/ olive oil or Pam) After you see the beginning of color around the edges (2 minutes?), slap on a lid for another 2 minutes & remove it. There'll be liquid in the pan now. Flip the burgers, crank up the heat to about med-high, & move them around in the skillet just until the liquid evaporates. Remove. That's it. Take a bite & the juices will flow out. Delish!

Esteemed Contributor
On 1/4/2015 Danielle46 said:
On 1/4/2015 magicmoodz said:

I make the BEST grilled Thai turkey burgers. I would put them to a test over beef burgers any day! Smile

I would love your recipe (so would my husband). Would you mind sharing?

Danielle, sorry I am late responding. I got this recipe from one of the free Whole Foods publications found at the checkout. I typed it 3 times last night and for some reason it simply would not post. So after doing a search, I found the same recipe online. If you try it, I hope you and your husband enjoy. I always take liberties with recipes (for instance I use green curry for a real bite) and we always grill these burgers on a charcoal grill.

THAI TURKEY BURGERS

INGREDIENTS:
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 garlic clove, minced
¼ c scallions, sliced thin
2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
½ red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 Tbsp sweet chili sauce
1 Tbsp mild curry paste

DIRECTIONS:

1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
  2. Using your hands, shape mixture into six patties. Lightly spritz patties with cooking spray.
  3. Pan fry, grill, or broil until patties are done, flipping halfway through.
  4. Serve on toasted buns with lettuce, red onion, cucumber slices, and sweet chili sauce.

Per serving: 379 Calories, 16 g Protein, 43 g Carbohydrates, 2 g Fiber, 16 g Total fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono, 2 g poly), 176 mg Sodium, HH Vitamin B3 (niacin), H Vitamin B6, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc