Esteemed Contributor

Re: Turkey breast & dark meat question

My husbands receipe is to cut the entire breast off the whole turkey by cotting at the rib area bilaterally . When I go to cook the turkey , I seson the entire bird  bottom and breast and then place the breast back on top . Cook till breast is done , at that time remove the entire breast . Cook the rest of the turkey  legs , thigh , back , ect till done. This has worked for me in not over cooking the breast while cooking the thighs & legs ect  as done as I like.

Honored Contributor

@rockygems123 wrote:

Has anyone cooked the legs, wings and thighs separately from the turkey breast?  This year I purchased separate multi piece dark meat packs as well as a separate breast.

I have a tried & true America's Test Kitchen turkey breast recipe that comes out really moist and the gravy is great.  I've made it many times but have never made dark meat parts on their own.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

@rockygems123 I've bought the same thing this year. 

Ususally I get a whole turkey but I because there will only be three of us I bought a breast.  Then DH wanted me to get dark meat so I purchased separate thighs & legs. 

I plan on making it the same way that I make a whole turkey with my roasting pan that has a tight lid which keeps moisture in.  I usually add some water and a bit of wine along with seasonings to the roaster.

Is there a reason you will be cooking all of the pieces separately?

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@rockygems123 wrote:

Has anyone cooked the legs, wings and thighs separately from the turkey breast?  This year I purchased separate multi piece dark meat packs as well as a separate breast.

I have a tried & true America's Test Kitchen turkey breast recipe that comes out really moist and the gravy is great.  I've made it many times but have never made dark meat parts on their own.

@rockygems123 I've bought the same thing this year. 

Ususally I get a whole turkey but I because there will only be three of us I bought a breast.  Then DH wanted me to get dark meat so I purchased separate thighs & legs. 

I plan on making it the same way that I make a whole turkey with my roasting pan that has a tight lid which keeps moisture in.  I usually add some water and a bit of wine along with seasonings to the roaster.

Is there a reason you will be cooking all of the pieces separately?

@haddon9 Same as you, purchased a breast initially as will be making one of my favorite America's Test Kitchen Turkey en Cocotte which is browned turkey breast with veg in a large cast iron pot then braised in oven low and slow. I thought that would be the only protein but couldnt resist when seeing the dark meat. The breast will be in one oven, the parts in another as I assume there will be a difference in temps. The ATK recipe makes the best turkey gravy so I won't need the parts for gravy. 

Respected Contributor

@rockygems123 wrote:

@rockygems123  I watched an America's Test Kitchen show last night entitled "Thanksgiving for a Crowd", Season 20, Episode18. They cooked the equivalent of 2 turkeys divided into dark meat and breasts. It ran here on November 21st on PBS. They also had plenty of gravy. I'm sure you could adapt it for a smaller amount of turkey.