Esteemed Contributor

Turkey & Roasted Vegetables - Help!

I'm planning on having roasted vegetables for thanksgiving but I roast my veggies at 450 degrees and I would like to put them in the oven while cooking my turkey which will cook at 325 degrees.  Is this possible or should I just roast my veggies ahead of time and reheat?  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Turkey & Roasted Vegetables - Help!

The turkey has to rest before cutting. you can start roasting low and turn up heat when you pull out the meat.

Esteemed Contributor

also I have seen recipes that roast veggies lower

Esteemed Contributor

Crank the heat up as soon as the turkey comes out and do the roasted veggies at the temp required. The turkey can stand a rest of 30 min., so that's about how long you have.

Trusted Contributor

I roast vegetables at a lower temperature, usually 350°

Frequent Contributor

Unless it is really small, the turkey should rest about an hour before carving, so plenty of time for veggies.  Also, do not cover with foil while resting if you want crispy skin.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No roasted veggies need to be roasted at a high temp ----I like doing them after the bird is done and resting too----also--don't crowd the veggies or they will steam not roast--if you need to, roast 2 pans of them. And season them well too.

Honored Contributor

hopi wrote:

The turkey has to rest before cutting. you can start roasting low and turn up heat when you pull out the meat.

This is totally the best idea!  It doesn't take that long to do a roasted veg dish and this way you'll be able to put them out hot after doing so many other things that need to be done after the turkey is finished.

Honored Contributor

I don't cut the bag open while resting the turkey.  It rests, but it's warm.

If you need to, I'd cover with foil.

Honored Contributor

You have plenty of time for the veggies.  You have to give your turkey time before you carve.  It needs to rest, you can't take it out and cut right into it.  So, while that's happening;  turn the oven up and put your veggies in to roast.