Honored Contributor

Re: Tried 2 new recipes this weekend....

Sometimes I am reading/following a recipe and it raises an eyebrow and just goes against the grain of what I know/like.

Then I follow it anyways assuming 'some pro' knows what they are talking about!

Dang!  9 times outta 10, I shoulda trusted my gut instinct and done it 'my' way.

I usually like to follow pretty close the first time, then if repeated, make it my own.  But often I just should have listened to the little voice in my head going "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!"

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mizree   @Zhills   Try velveting your boneless chicken breasts.  It is a Chinese technique.  The simplest way is using 2 Tablespoons for every pound of chicken.  Coat and let sit in the fridge for a while before proceeding with your recipe.  (Got this one from America's Test Kitchen.)

The more complicated, probably more authentic, versions include egg whites, corn starch, and rice vinegar or sherry, married together and then VERY BRIEFLY submitted to boiling water.

You won't have tough chicken again.  These techniques can also be used on the tougher cuts of beef and for pork.

There are a couple of threads on here several years back that detail this.  Type in velveting chicken to find the.

Hope this helps.

aroc3435

Honored Contributor

@tarsmom wrote:

I did a taco-type one, too!  It was ok but I won't make it again.  It had refried beans mixed with the ground beef which was kind of pasty to me.  It was made in a 13 x 9 pan with a crescent roll base.  In theory, it looked good  -  I may try again just using very little beans or leave them out completely.

What if you layered, instead of mixing together, the beef and refried beans.  That would make the difference.  Maybe even put another ingredient between the two, like cheese or tomatoes - or?  Smiley Happy