Honored Contributor

Re: Tried 2 new recipes this weekend....

@Zhills 

I have had that happen many times.  Some recipes are not flavorful.  Some are too much trouble for the results.  I have also been trying new recipes lately. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Zhills...you are not alone....that has happened to me more than once.  But, if you don't try something new, how will you know?  Whenever this does happen to me though, I say to myself....why don't you stick with what you know is good!!  Answer.....well, you don't know if you don't try! Good for you to try new recipes.

One of my favorite pork chop recipes now is in foil...never dry but not browned if you prefer that type.  Take large piece of foil (for however many chops you want)...

put little olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in center...season chop(s) with lemon-pepper seasoning on both sides....set on top of butter....place another pat of butter and little olive oil on top...sprinkle with Worcestershire sauce....seal tightly.....bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes. (I think I got this recipe here from someone.)

Honored Contributor

Can't tell you how many awful recipes I have tried--such a waste of food!! I do try to salvage the good things out of them tho so as not to dumped it all in the garbage. I usually will make only half a recipe to try it----last night was a winner tho---cleared out my refer of the bits and pieces of veggies, cabbage, onion, mushrooms and such--and tossed them in OO with herbs then spread them on a sheet pan with chicken breasts and chicken sausages and baked them in the oven. Was really favorful  and nicely roasted-----I hate to cook and plan and shop anymore-----Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

I make a Lemon Chicken and rice dish that is great.  Was so sure the Lemon Chicken with Potatoes and Rosemary would be delicious!  NOT!   Oh, well.  Makes me feel better that I am not the only one or that I am just weird!  Sorry all of you had the same experience.  You should always enjoy eating.

Trusted Contributor

@happycat wrote:

Yes, I've had the same thing happen.

As a matter of fact I made a taco type casserole yesterday, that someone had put on fb. It is just too spicy for me, dh likes it. I had to put sour cream on it to tone the heat down a bit.

I would not consider this an issue with the success or failure of the taco casserole recipe you made or an experience similar to Zhills'. It seems you disregarded your personal level of tolerance for heat when using the recipe's spicy ngredients.  I only like a little heat so  I always adjust the amount of spicy items listed in recipes to what I can enjoy.  

Honored Contributor

I can usually get DH to finish up the 'One and Dones' as I call them.  LOL

We both hate to waste so he won't often refuse.

I have tried tons of new recipes lately, mostly meh.

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe it's time for a "My Favorite Dish" thread!

Valued Contributor

when chicken breast is on sale i buy extra. i found recipe for storing chicken.  first poach, then slice, freeze, then pack away for dinner on table in minutes.  Anyways, invested most of Saturday morning, poached chicken to 165, cooled to handling temp, sliced into equal strips, froze on cookie sheet,  returned to kitchen 4 hours later pulled out food saver and vacuumed in 3 equal packages. according to recipe no defrosting required.  simply warn strips in a couple teaspoons olive oil and proceed with recipe.  used for stirfry and when i tell you these were unbelievably tough.  the remaining packs are in the freezer.  maybe i will slowcook in bbq sauce and then perhaps these will be edible.  this was definitely a food experience that did not go as planned.  

Esteemed Contributor

I have had that experience also.  I buy chicken breasts for my furbaby and sometimes they are so tough I can't break them into bites with my fingers!  He doesn't care, but it bothers me!  So much work for nothing!

Honored Contributor

Most of us have tried a recipe that we won't make again. It has happened to me with meatloaf - there are so many variations and some aren't very good.