Esteemed Contributor

Tried 2 new recipes this weekend....

[ Edited ]

I ate them but did not enjoy eating either one of them. 

Sounded great, " Baked Chops and Potatoes," but the chops did not brown (yes, I followed directions) and were like..boiled?  Tough and not tasty at all.

And "Lemon Rosemary Chicken and Potatoes".  I like all the ingredients but together....they just were not great!

Have you experienced this when trying something new?

Honored Contributor

Re: Tried 2 new recipes this weekend....

Oooh BUMMER!!! @Zhills   I know this feeling too but not very often. It's really disappointing trying a new recipe and it turns out ho-hum.

Lemon chicken sounds good too, I enjoy using lemons in dishes.

Respected Contributor

You should have browned your chops first. I always brown mine & add to the recipe. It gives them a much better flavor.

Esteemed Contributor

@Zhills  I hate when that happens, but at least you learned some things, I'm sure. One thing I usually do with pork chops is brine them ahead of time. That seems to help them from drying out. Yesterday I tried making baked ziti and substituting cut up zucchini for half of the ziti. Zucchini ended up too hard. I learned I need to cut the zucchini smaller next time.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I've had the same thing happen.

As a matter of fact I made a taco type casserole yesterday, that someone had put on fb. It is just too spicy for me, dh likes it. I had to put sour cream on it to tone the heat down a bit.

Honored Contributor

I had the same experience when making baked pork chops.  Have only fried or grilled them since then.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@happycat wrote:

Yes, I've had the same thing happen.

As a matter of fact I made a taco type casserole yesterday, that someone had put on fb. It is just too spicy for me, dh likes it. I had to put sour cream on it to tone the heat down a bit.

I did a taco-type one, too!  It was ok but I won't make it again.  It had refried beans mixed with the ground beef which was kind of pasty to me.  It was made in a 13 x 9 pan with a crescent roll base.  In theory, it looked good  -  I may try again just using very little beans or leave them out completely.

Esteemed Contributor

That's happened to me too, and it's frustrating, especially when you follow the recipe exactly. As an aside, I've learned that pork chops (for me) are best when I cook them in my slow cooker.....always very tender and moist.

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

Sounded great, " Baked Chops and Potatoes," but the chops did not brown (yes, I followed directions) and were like..boiled?  Tough and not tasty at all.

And "Lemon Rosemary Chicken and Potatoes".  I like all the ingredients but together....they just were not great!

@Zhills If the heat was over 350, it's likely they dried out which would make them tough.  I have a wonderful pork rub this is absolutely yummy!  Please let me know if you would like it.

If I were going to bake pork chops, there would be a liquid in it.  I'd add some fresh mushrooms and wine.

Respected Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

I tried many, many new recipes over this past year.  We were even discussing this over dinner one evening as I said to my family "What have you liked that I tried new?"  Silence.  I have to say, most of them weren't great but they weren't all horrible either.