Not applicable

Hi everyone ,

I'm desperately searching for a recipe and I sure hope someone here can help me .

A few months ago while at a luncheon I tried the most wonderful coleslaw . In front of the large bowl of slaw was a note card that said " Trail Slaw " . It was so good the bowl was emptied before everyone got through the line , luckily I got to try it before it was gone . Almost everyone there wanted the recipe , unfortunately , the woman who brought the slaw wouldn't share .

She said it was an old family favorite and she'd never share the recipe .

I came home and thought ( and thought ) about the Trail mix slaw so starting the next day and for months now I've tried to recreate it , making countless bowls of slaw with different dressings , some homemade , some store bought dressings , but for some reason I can't seem to get the right taste .

I've searched through all my cookbooks ( well over 300 , yes it's an obsession ) and I've searched the web , I've tried so many dressing recipes but can't quiet get the right taste . In fact I'm almost tired of coleslaw ( I'm the only one in my family who eats coleslaw ) but REALLY want to find the recipe , in fact I'm determined to find it , LOL . I know it must be some simple little thing I can't just quiet think of , but nothing I've tried so far is quiet right .

The sugar mixed with the mayo IS close but there's still something missing in the taste I can't quiet come up with .

I know the slaw had red and green shredded cabbage, green onion, cucumbers , carrots , bell pepper , almonds , dried cranberries , I wrote down all the veggies just as soon as I got in the car that day to leave , so I think that was all , the dressing is what I can't quiet get right .

I've made the slaw a couple of times with different dressing recipes serving to family and friends , a wedding shower and baby shower , and I've taken it to Church functions , it's so good the bowl is emptied fast , but I'd like the original recipe if possible .

Also , while shopping at Kroger one day I was waiting in line at the deli and noticed they carried a Trail slaw , I asked the girl behind the counter what kind of dressing they used but she'd only say it was a commercial dressing ???? , she gave me a sample to try , but it wasn't quiet right either .

I'm at my wits end trying slaw dressing recipes , anyone have the recipe they'd share ?

Thanks in advance , DM

Re: Trail mix Slaw recipe ????

I was looking for that recipe too, and they said use Marzetti's slaw sauce. You can get it in the refrigerated section by the veggies in Walmart. Hope this helps!

Honored Contributor

@dixons mom I had never heard of this coleslaw so I was very intrigued by your post.  I know you have searched extensively through books and the internet but I did Google it myself just to familiarize myself with this.  So many recipes used already prepared dressings so I understand your frustration.  The only one that I found that was made from scratch also included honey and a bit of lime juice but all of the other ingredients were similar to yours.

I really hope someone is able to help you as I would love to try something like this myself!

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Trail Mix Coleslaw
Ingredients
    • FOR SLAW:
    • 2 cups purple cabbage, shredded
    • 1-1½ cup peeled carrots, diced
    • 1½-2 cups cucumber, diced
    • ½ cup green onion, finely chopped
    • 1 cup nuts, toasted (I used pecans but walnuts would be good too)
    • 1 cup dried fruit such as raisins, craisins, dried cherries, etc.
    • FOR DRESSING:
    • 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
    • ½ cup rice wine vinegar (or regular rice vinegar is fine too

In large bowl, ccombine all vegetables. Set aside.
  1. For dressing, combine dressing ingredients. If you do not have vanilla yogurt, you may use plan and add 1-2 tablespoons sugar to dressing mixture. Pour dressing mixture over slaw mixture.
  2. Chill until ready to serve.

Does this sound like the recipe?

Respected Contributor

I know someone who makes a version and she uses Marzetti's slaw dressing.