Respected Contributor

Re: Traeger Grill Recipe - SALT CRUSTED BAKED POTATOES

Hi,,,,,sorry for all the confusion BUT I combined the potatoes from

ROASTED HASSELBACK Potatoes

with the recipe for Traeger Potatoes Au Gratin

in other words, I used the sliced potatoes from the Hasselback recipe with all the goodness from the Au Gratin recipe.

(I found with just the au gratin potatoes, you lost the integrity of the potato with all the sauce and cheese)  Keeping the potato in a "whole" sliced state with the creamy sauce was perfect (at least in my taste)

On a side note, if you haven't bought their bbq sauce it it too delicious along with all their seasonings, haven't found anything I didn't like yet!

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

in other words, I used the sliced potatoes from the Hasselback recipe with all the goodness from the Au Gratin recipe.

(I found with just the au gratin potatoes, you lost the integrity of the potato with all the sauce and cheese)  Keeping the potato in a "whole" sliced state with the creamy sauce was perfect (at least in my taste)

On a side note, if you haven't bought their bbq sauce it it too delicious along with all their seasonings, haven't found anything I didn't like yet!

@Just Bling - sounds like a good combo recipe - will post the recipes later

also, thx for the bbq & seasoning recommendations 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

How about sweet potatoes, butter, canola oil, garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Per @Just Bling  recommendation,  use one of these recipes with the Au Gratin recipe posted below together

Baked Cheesy Accordion Potatoes

Screenshot_2021-04-20-18-53-26.png

Traeger Kitchen

Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hours
Serves: 4 people

Ingredients  
    • 4 Large Baking Potato, Equal Size
    • 1/4 Pound Parmesan Cheese
    • 4 Tablespoon Butter, Melted
    • 1 As Needed Traeger Veggie Rub
    • 2 Tablespoon Heavy Cream
    • 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
    • 2 Tablespoon Freshly Minced Chives
Steps
  1. If desired, peel the potatoes, or simply scrub them thoroughly with a vegetable brush.
  2. Position a potato lengthwise with a pencil or chopstick on either side of it; these will serve as cutting guides.
  3. Using a sharp knife, cut each potato crosswise into thin slices, being careful not to cut all the way through the bottom. The pencils should stop your knife from cutting too deep. Repeat with the remaining potatoes.
  4. Cut the parmesan cheese into 2” wide slices. Cut each slice into very thin slices.
  5. Put the potatoes in a baking dish, cut-side up. Drizzle them with the melted butter. Using the thin slices of parmesan cheese, stud each slice or every other slice in the potatoes. The thicker your cheese slices are, the fewer you'll be able to fit in each potato.
  6. Season generously with the Traeger Veggie rub. Pour a little of the cream over each potato, just for that added delicious richness.
  7. When ready to cook, set temperature to High and preheat, lid closed for 15 minutes.
  8. Cover the baking pan with foil and put in the grill. Bake accordion potatoes for 60 minutes or until tender.
  9. Take off the foil and sprinkle the tops evenly with the cheese and bake for 5 minutes more, or until the cheese is melted and golden.
  10. Garnish potatoes with chives and favorite toppings. Enjoy!

Roasted Hasselback Potatoes by Doug Scheiding

Screenshot_2021-04-20-19-00-44.png

Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 2 Hours
Serves: 6 people

Ingredients  
    • 6 Large Russet Potatoes
    • 1 Pound Bacon
    • 1/2 Cup Butter
    • Salt
    • Black Pepper
    • 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese
    • 3 Whole Scallions
Steps
  1. To cut potatoes, place two wooden spoons on either side of the potato (this prevents your knife from going all the way through). Slice potato into thin chips leaving about 1/4” attached on the bottom.
  2. Freeze bacon slices for about 30 minutes then cut into small pieces about the size of a stamp. Place these in the cracks between every other slice.
  3. Place the potato in a large cast iron skillet. Top the potato with slices of hard butter (you can also place thin slivers of cold butter between the potato slices with the bacon if desired). Season with salt and pepper.
  4. When ready to cook, set the Traeger to 350℉ and preheat, lid closed for 15 minutes.
  5. Place the cast iron directly on the grill grate and cook for two hours. Top potatoes with more butter and baste with melted butter every 30 minutes.
  6. In the last 10 minutes of cooking, sprinkle with cheddar and return to grill to melt.
  7. To finish, top with chives or scallions. Enjoy!

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

Here is the Au Gratin recipe

Traeger Potatoes Au Gratin

Screenshot_2021-04-20-19-13-29.png

Traeger Kitchen

Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Serves: 6 people

Ingredients  
    • 1 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
    • 1/2 Cup Whole Milk
    • 2 Tablespoon Flour
    • 4 Clove Garlic, Minced
    • 1 Teaspoon Salt
    • Freshly Ground Black Pepper
    • 2 Tablespoon Butter, Softened
    • 4 Whole Russet Potatoes, Cleaned
    • 1 Cup Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Steps
  1. When ready to cook, set Traeger temperature to 500˚F and preheat, lid closed for 15 minutes.
  2. In a bowl, whisk together heavy cream, milk, flour, minced garlic, salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
  3. Slice potatoes thinly and as uniformly as possible. Smear softened butter all over the bottom of a baking dish. Place 1/3 of the potatoes in the bottom of the baking dish. Pour 1/3 of the cream mixture over the potatoes. Repeat this two more times, ending with the cream mixture.
  4. Cover with foil and bake on the Traeger for 30 minutes.
  5. Remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes, or until potatoes are golden brown and bubbling. Add the grated cheese to the top of the potatoes and bake for 3 to 5 more minutes, until cheese is melted. Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

How about sweet potatoes, butter, canola oil, garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper?

@feline groovy There are some recipes on the Traeger site that use sweet potatoes.  This one looks good

Marshmallow Hasselback Sweet Potatoes

Screenshot_2021-04-20-19-20-05.png

Traeger Kitchen

Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Serves: 4 people
Ingredients  
    • 4 Large Sweet Potatoes
    • 8 Tablespoon Butter
    • Salt
    • 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
    • 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
    • 1 Cup Marshmallows, Miniature
Steps
  1. When ready to cook, set the Traeger to High and preheat, lid closed for 15 minutes.
  2. Place a sweet potato on a clean, flat surface horizontally between the handles of 2 wooden spoons. Slice the potato into thin slices, leaving 1/4 inch at the bottom unsliced. The spoon handles will prevent slicing the potato all the way through. Repeat with every potato.
  3. Insert a thin slice of butter between the potato slices. Sprinkle with kosher salt, brown sugar, and nutmeg. Place potatoes on a pan in the grill and bake for one hour. The sweet potatoes should be cooked through and crispy looking on top.
  4. Add a dollop of marshmallow cream or marshmallow sauce to the top of each potato.
  5. To make marshmallow sauce, combine mini marshmallows with 1 Tbsp. butter on stovetop over medium heat until mallows are melted and creamy. Top with additional brown sugar if desired.
  6. Place the pan back into the grill for an additional 5-10 minutes or until the marshmallows have melted and brown sugar on top has caramelized. Remove from the oven and enjoy!

Respected Contributor

You know, I haven't found one thing that ISN'T good on a Traeger.

I sub different varieties of wood for different meats, what I do isn't according to the recipe, but it turns out wonderful!

My friends told me they won't buy one because their son made hamburgers and there wasn't a "char" "grill marks".  I thing Traeger tells you to cook low and slow then hit it with high heat, I have found that I hit it with high heat first and finish it off at a lower temp but with hamburgers I do leave it at high heat for the entire time.

Everyone has their own way of cooking.  I also like the fact that you can leave it on the grill and forget about it.  No need to keep opening the cover to check on it.  

They are selling these grills at Costco and I mentioned the Q just had a TSV, she said ours is a better deal, I said I don't know, the Q had a really good package for everything you got.  Of course they are going to say they had a better deal than the Q but once I told them I had one already they sure didn't want to talk to me anymore, I wasn't going to put any money in their pocket.  

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Just my opinion but we bought a Pit Boss smoker last month for $283 and just bought another identical for our son the professional chef.  These were an amazing deal and DH ( plus his son) both have turned out amazing stuff.  Do love the Traeger cookbook!