Honored Contributor

Re: Trader Joe's BBQ Sauce Review

@DiAnne wrote:

I don't really barbecue much but have tried the Korean barbecue sauce and loved it.  I did not find it too spicey.  I am planning on adding it to some potato salad this summer.

@DiAnne

Hi DiAnne, it's rarely grilling temperature in this neck of the woods.  What I did yesterday was get the TJ's frozen breaded chicken tenders, heat them in the air fryer and serve with BBQ sauce on the side.  Delicious!

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

We don't have a Trader Joe's but wish we did. Do you have to have a membership to buy there like you do at Sam's? I think they have one that's just about the same drive we make when we go to Sam's.

Only BBQ Sauce we use is Head Country & Sweet Baby Ray's. DH got a copycat Head Country recipe that tastes just like it. It will come in handy when we retire if we move because it's not available there.

I just saw a commercial for King's Hawaiian BBQ sauce. I did not know they made sauce. Have you tried any of those?

Hi @Nightowlz

No membership needed, it's like a regular grocery store but not as big, and MOST of the foods are theirs alone, not something you could find at Safeway.

It's a wonderful store, especially around the holidays, you will have to see for yourself when you can!  Smiley Happy

@Noel7 Thank you. I will have to look see where it is. Sounds like it's more like a Whole Foods. Wish we had one of those too. We don't have much of anything where I live. We have to drive a 3 hour round trip to go to those places.

@Nightowlz

You're right, it is more like a Whole Foods but smaller.  TJ's also has some prepared foods, like special salads and a few entrees.  It's also less expensive than most stores.

They also carry fresh bakery items.  Customers go crazy when they get in almond or raspberry Kringles.  Oh, my gosh, delicious bakery items.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7

I love, love, love the almond kringles.  I buy several, cut them into serving size pieces and freeze with pieces of parchment paper between.  I just heat them from frozen.  Oven works better than microwave.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@Noel7

I love, love, love the almond kringles.  I buy several, cut them into serving size pieces and freeze with pieces of parchment paper between.  I just heat them from frozen.  Oven works better than microwave.  

@DiAnne

I would rather have that almond Kringle than chocolate, and that's saying a lot!  LOL

I buy a couple and cut one up, also.  We've been wrapping them individually in plastic wrap, I hadn't thought of using parchment, good idea, thanks for mentioning it!

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

We don't have a Trader Joe's but wish we did. Do you have to have a membership to buy there like you do at Sam's? I think they have one that's just about the same drive we make when we go to Sam's.

Only BBQ Sauce we use is Head Country & Sweet Baby Ray's. DH got a copycat Head Country recipe that tastes just like it. It will come in handy when we retire if we move because it's not available there.

I just saw a commercial for King's Hawaiian BBQ sauce. I did not know they made sauce. Have you tried any of those?

Hi @Nightowlz

No membership needed, it's like a regular grocery store but not as big, and MOST of the foods are theirs alone, not something you could find at Safeway.

It's a wonderful store, especially around the holidays, you will have to see for yourself when you can!  Smiley Happy

@Noel7 Thank you. I will have to look see where it is. Sounds like it's more like a Whole Foods. Wish we had one of those too. We don't have much of anything where I live. We have to drive a 3 hour round trip to go to those places.

@Nightowlz

You're right, it is more like a Whole Foods but smaller.  TJ's also has some prepared foods, like special salads and a few entrees.  It's also less expensive than most stores.

They also carry fresh bakery items.  Customers go crazy when they get in almond or raspberry Kringles.  Oh, my gosh, delicious bakery items.

@Noel7 We have one around OKC & one in Tulsa. Wish the one in OKC was in the area where we generally go but it's not. We will have to check it out. There's a Sam's in the area of the TJ's so we can still go to both. Will probably wait until fall before we go. It's hard to bring back stuff when it's hot even in ice chests. Need to look into using dry ice instead of ice on these trips.

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz, just wondering if DH decided to share the BBQ sauce recipe. I've had good luck with recipes people share here, and would love to see this one.

Please.gif

Honored Contributor

Trader Joe's is about 9 blocks away ... about a 15 minute walk each way.   

I just read that they will be opening another one ... about a five minute walk!  Opening in a couple of months.   We have a lot of grocery stores around here ... lots of options.  Whole Foods is two blocks from Trader Joe's.

Respected Contributor

I've been to TJ before but I have to travel about 45 minutes to get there.  However, just wondering - am in the burbs of Washington DC and within the next few weeks they will be opening a handful of Lidls (it rhymes with needle).  It is a German based grocery chain they say is a cross between Trader Jo's and Aldis.  They said it has it's own name brands (higher quality like TJs) but the Aldi's reference is bc it will be more like a warehouse type situation - things in open boxes, less shelves, etc.  

Anyone have an open Lidls in your area yet and if so do u like it?  If I get no responses I'll post my experience once ours opens (thought it was supposed to be within the next few weeks).

Honored Contributor

@noodleann @ceekay

I found the recipe since I kept forgetting to ask DH. I entered the recipe in a calculator online to half it. It still makes a lot. I guess you could cut it in half again plus still add a pinch of the pepper, garlic powder, msg & onion powder. 

I try to stay away from MSG so I would leave that out. 

5 poundsHunt's catsup
6 ouncesbrown sugar
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoonsvinegar
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoonsworcestershire sauce
1 cupmolasses
3 tablespoonshot sauce
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoonsliquid smoke
1/8 teaspoonblack pepper
1/8 teaspoonmsg
1/8 teaspoongarlic powder
1/8 teaspoononion powder
Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz Hugs and kisses (which I never do) and a million thanks! And WOW, if that's a half-size recipe, the original must have made enough for a platoon.

I know I'll be cutting it down again for my own use, but I'm thinking it would be possible to mix everything but the ketchup and keep it in the fridge, and then add the ketchup pro-rata to how much I need at the time.  IOW, if the brown sugar through the onion powder = about 4 cups and I needed only 2 cups, I'd just add about 2.5 lb ketchup.

It sounds good. I like the molasses. It probably adds a real depth to the flavor. Can't wait to try it! Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart