Respected Contributor

Tortellini Vegetable Soup

[ Edited ]

Tortellini Vegetable Soup--from Ellie Krieger

30 minutes, 6 servings

Soup can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 medium onion (about 6 ounces), diced

2 stalks celery, diced

1 medium carrot, diced

1 medium zucchini (about 8 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch pieces

2 cloves garlic, minced

3/4 teaspoon dried basil

3/4 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

One (14-ounce) can no-salt-added petite diced tomatoes, with juices

4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth

2 cups water

One (9-ounce) package fresh store-bought cheese tortellini

3 cups (2 ounces) lightly packed baby spinach, coarsely chopped

1/3 cup (1 ounce) grated Parmesan cheese

In a large pot over medium heat, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onion, celery and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add the zucchini, garlic, basil, oregano, salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute more.

Add the tomatoes, the broth and 2 cups water and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.

Add the tortellini, return the broth to a boil, then cook, uncovered, 1 minute less than the directions on the package indicate; the tortellini should rise and float. Stir in the spinach and cook until just wilted, 1 minute more. Taste, and season to taste with more salt, if desired.

Ladle into 6 bowls, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve hot.

Calories: 226; Total Fat: 8 g; Saturated Fat: 3 g; Cholesterol: 22 mg; Sodium: 512 mg; Carbohydrates: 32 g; Dietary Fiber: 4 g; Sugars: 4 g; Protein: 13 g.

Ellie Krieger is a registered dietitian, nutritionist and author who hosts public television's "Ellie's Real Good Food."

This originally appeared on The Washington Post 

Respected Contributor

Re: Tortellini Vegetable Soup

@novamc1 

Thank you!  I will be making this next week when it cools down here.  Sounds delicious!

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

Delicious! 😋 🍲 

Respected Contributor

I make a variation of this soup with a recipe I got from the Penzys magazine a few years ago. It uses a pound of lean Italian sausage and a small diced green pepper. Substitute 5 cups of beef broth and a half-cup each of red wine and water for the chicken broth and water in your recipe. The rest of the ingredients are the same. When all the flavors mix together, the aroma pulls people into the kitchen. Whichever version of the recipe you make, this soup sure hits the spot on a chilly day!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

mmm...thanks for sharing. I always loved her shows and recipes. Healthy, clean eating...plenty delicious! I never see her anymore except randomly on a cable channel on rare occasions. I have visited her website in the past, though.

I have all these ingredients on hand, except of course...the star of the show...the tortellini! Next Instacart or trip to Fresh Market will try to find some.

Respected Contributor

Looks really good. I love soup. Thanks 😊 

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 I think I made this exact soup like two weeks ago, I got a recipe from Weight Watchers. I live alone so I like to portion out soups I make and freeze them. Tomorrow I'm going to make a chicken chili.

Esteemed Contributor

@novamc1  Thanks for sharing! I love Ellie Krieger's recipes!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@novamc1 

I made this soup tonight for our supper.  It was very good!  I did add a can of kidney beans and a can of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Super Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

@novamc1 

I made this soup tonight for our supper.  It was very good!  I did add a can of kidney beans and a can of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained.  

Excellent idea to add the beans!

I don't see her show on PBS anymore.   Is she still doing it?   Maybe my local station isn't airing it. 

Thanks for the recipe.