Respected Contributor

I made chili yesterday (new recipe) that called for chili peppers in adobo sauce.  Tasted when done and it was VERY spicey hot.  So tonight I added a medium-large sized potato cut in half when I reheated.  Turned out perfect!!

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

I made chili yesterday (new recipe) that called for chili peppers in adobo sauce.  Tasted when done and it was VERY spicey hot.  So tonight I added a medium-large sized potato cut in half when I reheated.  Turned out perfect!!

@bargainsgirl I read your title and thought "Oh boy!  A fix of too hot chili!"  From one who did a tasting of all the Smokehouse Almonds hottest flavors this weekend.  And liked 'em!

Woman SurprisedWoman TongueWoman Embarassed

Serving chiii over rice cuts some of the heat too.

Honored Contributor

Adding sour cream will also reduce the heat. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Thanks for sharing your solution.

I would never have made anything with chili peppers in adobo sauce knowing how spicy hot it is. I'm a lightweight and so is my stomach. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Potatoes and rice are a good fix....I add more beans if too spicy.

Honored Contributor

I LOVE chilis in adobo sauce!!! I freeze them so I can chip little pieces off to use.

Honored Contributor

Re: Too hot chili fix

[ Edited ]

Unless you specifically want spicy heat, you do not want to use the entire can of chili peppers in adobo sauce!   I only use 1 big pepper or 2 small ones and a teaspoon of sauce in a recipe from Ree Drummond.   I like heat, but my cowboy does not.

Esteemed Contributor

If you get into a situation of too hot chili that you can't fix just send it to me please.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

@bargainsgirl    ...is the Abodo sauce something that comes in a jar or is it made from scratch?  My husband likes anything hot, I have never heard of the sauce before.