Honored Contributor

Re: Too Many Jersey Tomatoes, Any Ideas?

OH!  Forgot my number ONE tomato must:  TUNA SALAD!  Simple tuna salad with good mayo and good tuna, preferably in oil.

Respected Contributor

SEND THEM TO ME!! JERSEY TOMATOES ARE THE BEST IN THE WORLD! I am getting misty eyed remembering the delicious brucetta (sic) that I used to make with fresh warm tomatoes and sweet basil just picked from my garden....Jersey Tomatoes and me: perfect together! (I know Gov. Tom Keane didn't say those exact words, but I know he was thinking it.....)

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

Tomato,pie! My favorite

Esteemed Contributor

Do you make 1905 salad?

Honored Contributor

I found myself with a ton (not literally) of tomatoes one time and what I did was to take most of them, blanche them, remove the skins, and I froze them in an airtight container.  Then, after they were frozen, I vacuum sealed them and kept them in the freezer.   (I allowed them to be all smooshed up - not like all round orbs, because I figured how I would use them)

After a year or so, I used them in a sauce or chili or something (can't remember which, as I make all those things).   They were great.  I thawed them out first so I could see how they looked and tasted, and they were perfect.

Occasional Contributor

Yes, I make  it. I LOVE 1905 salad! I bought so many bottles of their dressing last time I was at the Columbia Restaurant. I eat that salad all the time, I also bought their seasoning that I use on seafood. 

I ended up grilling some eggplant slices, and topping them with thick tomato slices (grilled), then mozz. and basil....baked. Also bruschetta, which I used to make pizza. 

Respected Contributor

I tracked down these tomato based recipes for another thread, but thought they might be useful here as well.

Gazpacho
Bruschetta Chicken over Tortellini

BLT Salad with Basil Mayo Dressing

Panzanella

Tomato Basil "Pasta" One Pot Wonder

Penne alla Caprese

Tortellini Caesar Salad

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@MathisFan wrote:

If they're red and ripe, can them.   Then you'll have them to use in sauces, soups, etc. for quite a while.

Another vote here for canning. It is well worth it. When you use the tomatoes, it makes whatever you are making taste so much better. And canning tomatoes isn't that bad. The tomatoes have acid in them. So you only have to do a hot water bath to seal the jars.

You don't have to worry about freezer burn. I used to can tomatoes for many years. I felt it was well worth the effort.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@1905 salad

When we were in England, every breakfast we were served had half a baked or broiled tomato with it.  I grew to really like them and still make them every once in awhile.  I bake the halves with a little seasoning on top.

I also get large tomatoes, cut in half and hollow out the shells.  Stuff them with whatever salad ingredients you have on hand, or something like medium size shrimp.

I buy the cherry or grape tomatoes and either saute them in a skillet as a side dish or bake them with other veg.  They are good with minced garlic and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.

Honored Contributor

Oh, another thing i do is use a rectangular serving plate, overlap and layer a slice of tomato, a fresh basil leaf, and a round thin slice of fresh mozzarella, repeat, repeat, repeat to the length of the platter.

Then drizzle all with a good olive oil and balsamic vinegar.