Respected Contributor

Re: Tomatoes have been keeping me busy

If I had your tomato stash I'd make my favorite pie (they don't have to be heirloom, that is just for looks). The cornmeal/cheese crust is outstanding with tomatoes.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/heirloom-tomato-pie-recipe-1973826

Respected Contributor

I'm SOOOO jealous, I'm ashamed of myself Woman Wink.

Valued Contributor

I have made 2 of Bobby Dean's Tomato Pies this year. His is a little less fattening than Paula's. But, 2 is all I want for the year. My treat. Thanks for reminding me of the roasted tomato soup. I made it last year from this site and it is wonderful. We have BLT about every other night and I am growing very tired of them. Neighbors are turning us down as we have given them so many, they still have them. Did not make spaghetti sauce this year as we have many quarts from last year still. But, I agree with the way the season has been. They started out sour (my cherry tomatoes still are) and now they taste all right but are small. Not a good year for them. I am so glad to be reminded of the roasted tomato soup. It is so good.

Respected Contributor

@ScrapHappy 

Our garden was also a flop.  Never have I had such few tomatoes.  I bought first tomatoes a couple of weeks ago and that was a disappointment - no flavor.   I need my garden to priduce.!!

Trusted Contributor

I'm alone and put in 4 Better Boy plants this year.  They were slow to get going but I now have more than enough very nice round approximately 1 pound tomatoes. 

I've already had a skillet of fried green tomatoes, which I love, and made delicious old fashioned stewed tomatoes ( a little sugar, salt, and a pinch of baking soda) the way my grandma used to serve them, hot over bread or toast, in addition to BLTs, tacos, tomatoes with cottage cheese, etc. 

I was just looking in my old Farm Journal cookbook this morning looking for additional ideas while I have them.