Respected Contributor

Tomato Soup with Roasted Garlic and Four-Cheese Pull-Apart Bread

The calendar may say June 27, but the thermometer is more like April 27. The cool temperature today gave me the opportunity to try a new dinner menu, and it was a hit at the Gs' table.  

The meal is based on canned tomato soup.  Because it was new to me, I followed the recipe exactly, and, for the first time in my life, I blended the soup with water.  Although the flavor was ultimately quite good, the soup was thinner, less creamy, than we usually like.  I will definitely prepare this meal again, but will likely try it with less water.

Tomato Soup 
Recipe courtesy of Ree Drummond | Show: The Pioneer Woman | Episode: Elevate This

Three 10.75-ounce cans condensed tomato soup
1/4 cup sherry
1/4 cup heavy cream
3 Tablespoons pesto
2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan, plus more for garnish
½ cup diced fresh tomatoes
Drizzle of olive oil
A few fresh basil leaves, chopped, for garnish

Add the soup to a pot with 3 cups water and heat over medium heat according to the can instructions.

When hot, add the sherry, cream, pesto and Parmesan. Stir and heat through.

Serve up the soup in bowls and sprinkle on the tomatoes, a drizzle of olive oil, more grated Parmesan and some basil.

Roasted Garlic and Four-Cheese Pull-Apart Bread
Recipe courtesy of Ree Drummond | Show: The Pioneer Woman | Episode: Elevate This

Total:1 hr 55 min Active: 10 min Yield: 6 to 8 servings Level: Easy

8 cloves garlic, peeled
2 Tablespoons olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
½ cup grated mozzarella
½ cup grated fontina
½ cup grated Parmesan
½ cup grated Romano
2 teaspoons chopped chives
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 round artisan or sourdough loaf
1 stick (½ cup) salted butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 375º F.

Put the garlic cloves on a square of heavy foil, drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle on some salt and pepper. Wrap it up and bake until the garlic is golden, nutty and mushy, about 30-45 minutes. Let cool. Lower the oven temperature to 350ºF.

Mix the garlic together with the 4 cheeses, chives, crushed red pepper flakes and some black pepper in a bowl.

Cut the bread in strips in one direction, being careful not to cut all the way through the loaf. Rotate the bread 90 degrees and cut in the other direction. (Cross-hatch)  Stuff the cheese mixture in between the rows. Drizzle the melted butter all over the top.

Wrap in foil and bake for 25 minutes. Open up the foil and bake until the cheese is hot and bubbly, another 10 minutes. Serve immediately.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Tomato Soup with Roasted Garlic and Four-Cheese Pull-Apart Bread

I watch her Show regularly.

Honored Contributor

Thank you @IamMrsG

This sounds delicious! My husband doesn't like tomato soup, but I'm considering this for a luncheon I'm hosting next month.

Thanks for posting it.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I just want to say @IamMrsG I can spot one of your posts a mile away as just with the title you can tell it's going to be delicious . . . sincere thanks as always for another great round of recipes, yum!  eating 2 smiley

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds yummy!  Can't wait to try!  Thanks for sharing @IamMrsG!  😊

Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Thank you @IamMrsG

This sounds delicious! My husband doesn't like tomato soup, but I'm considering this for a luncheon I'm hosting next month.

Thanks for posting it.

@house_cat  I hope this works well for you and your guests.  Even though the recipe says it serves 6-8, in case they like the bread as much as DH and I did, I'd recommend making at least two of them.  We had to discipline ourselves to keep from eating the whole thing.  

Oh, BTW, I accidentally bought a jalapeño and cheddar bread round (It was the last one in the basket, and I just grabbed it.) to use with this.  It was delicious, and I might buy another one deliberately the next time.  

Respected Contributor

@mtc  You're very generous in your praise, and I thank you. Good food is a blessing, and passing along the gems I occasionally find is part of the fun.

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@momtochloe  You're very generous in your praise, and I thank you. Good food is a blessing, and passing along the gems I occasionally find is part of the fun.

@IamMrsG praise well deserved as for me you bring recipes to life . . . I can just see you and Mr. G enjoying your delicious meal with a wonderful glass of wine . . . Heart