Valued Contributor

Tomato Basil "Pasta"

[ Edited ]

This amazing One Pot Wonder Tomato Basil Pasta is a bowl full of comfort, and it just happens to be vegan and gluten-free (and it couldn

Tomato Basil "Pasta" One Pot Wonder
(recipe source: yurielkiam.com)

Yes, I'm at it again! Still obsessed with my spiralizer..lol  This dish is so very delicious and perfect for this time of year. My kids go crazy for it! I hope you'll love it as much as we do!

1/2 cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic
3/4 cup brazil nuts
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp sea salt
3/4 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp red pepper
2 very large zucchini, julienned or spiralized
2-3 cups sliced baby bella mushrooms
1 pound grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
sea salt and fresh cracked pepper (to taste)

In a small food processor or high-speed blender, combine olive oil, garlic, brazil nuts, nutritional yeast, sea salt, Italian seasoning and red pepper. Pulse until the consistency of pesto sauce. Transfer sauce to a large pot. Add spiralized zucchini “noodles," mushrooms and tomatoes. Cook on stove top over high heat, tossing every 3-5 minutes with tongs, until the noodles begin to wilt and pot starts steaming. Garnish with fresh basil and fresh-cracked pepper. Enjoy!

Frequent Contributor

looks great! that is a fun tool!

Respected Contributor

Re: Tomato Basil "Pasta"

[ Edited ]

Yummmm! I love my spiralizer. Zoodles are such a great alternative to pasta.

Valued Contributor

@Rachb @perfumera De La Luz

Hi Ladies! I agree. I love zucchini and that spiralizer so much. :-)

Have a great week,

LoLa

Honored Contributor
@Lola
Do you have any tips for using the spiralizer? TIA
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Valued Contributor

@LTT1

Hi! To be honest, I purchased a 'cheapy' one from BB&B. It's a small manual one. Just pop in the zucchini and go! I have to say that it's pretty simple to use. The larger, more complex ones frighten me a bit..lol

Valued Contributor

I've never heard of nutritional yeast.... what is it, where do you buy it, and can I skip it??

The recipe sounds really good and I'd like to make it tomorrow.  I have everything except the yeast!

TIA

Valued Contributor

@Libbylady

Hi!

Nutritional Yeast is a vegan alternative to cheese. Feel free to substitute Parmesan in this dish. It'll be delicious! Let me know how you like it.

LoLa 

Respected Contributor

Re: Tomato Basil "Pasta"

[ Edited ]

@LoLa  It makes my day when I find "a keeper" to add to my repertoire.   You made my day, LoLa.  Thank you very much for sharing this one.

@ Anyone on the fence about this one:  "Try it, you'll like it!"  We Gs rated this a 4☆.  FWIW, I have no 5☆ recipes as DH doesn't agree to rate anything as 'perfect.'  

I do not use a spiralizer, so opted instead to slice the zucchini on a mandoline.  I used a 3 mm thickness, but made notes to try 1.5 mm next time (and there will be a next time).  So that the planks looked more like noodles, I sliced them in half longways. Slicing them into thirds wouldn't hurt, it just depends on how "noodle-like" you want the zucchini to look.

@RespectLife  This one gave me pause as to what wine to pull off the shelf. Woman Wink  I thought about the garlic and Italian seasoning, then considered the meatiness of the crimini (baby bella) mushrooms.  So, it was going to be a red, but we did not want one to over take the delicate flavors of the zucchini or Brazil nuts.  Merlot was my final decision guess, and it turned out to be a good one.  

@ Anyone who is put off by the price of 3/4 cup of Brazil nuts:  I paid just over $10 for a bag of them.  Yes, that sounds high; however, when you consider how much a piece of beef or pork is these days (or, for that matter, a delivered pizza), $10 isn't so outrageous.  Also, I didn't use the whole bag, there's probably enough for another batch.  We got two large servings (I could not finish mine), with enough leftover for lunch for one of us tomorrow.  If the price of the Brazil nuts is still keeping you from trying this delicious meal, DH and I talked it over and decided walnuts could be used as an acceptable substitute.  Maybe not quite as delectable, but acceptable nonetheless.

@LoLa  Again, thank you for sharing this one with all of us.  Your kids are blessed to have a Mother who prepares excellent meals, thereby developing appreciation and good palates early.  It will serve them well throughout their lives.  But I'm sure you know that.  Woman Happy

I'll eagerly open any future post that bears your name as the O.P.                                                                           --Mrs. G.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Thank you @IamMrsG

What a lovely post!

Appreciate the wine pairing and the nut sub suggestion!

Considering I just got 'stung' (meaning I didn't pay attention one bit to the price til I got 'checkout' surpise) and paid $9.18 for a bag of cherries....I don't think the nut price is that outrageous!   LOL

Thanks again @LoLa  &  @IamMrsG