Honored Contributor

Re: Tired of that old green bean and mush soup dish?

[ Edited ]

I look at this casserole as a traditional and venerated dish reflective of a time and place in American culinary history.  I am quite serious about this.

For MANY people in this country, it is part of their heritage, part of our family history, and a representative dish of American culture and food at a particular time and possibly place.

We are aware of many traditional foods from OTHER cultures that people look upon with almost reverence.  It is people remembering their past how their ancestors cooked.  I can even think of many religious feasts that include what we might consider unsavory dishes.

So why must this simple casserole be treated with disdain?  It was from a time in our country when convenience foods were new, innovative, easy to use and important.  It helped a lot of women feed their families when they went to work.  It showed up on holiday tables when it was new and exciting, AND easy!  Many many people have cooked it and proudly put it on tables.  It appears along with the almost-worshiped soggy bread and egg goo (often greasy from being in the turkey) that is known as "stuffing" and to me is worse than the green bean casserole.  But I understand that lots of people love it and have to have it.  Nobody makes fun of stuffing/dressing.

So, I ask: Why the attitude?  Isn't it time we got over it and admitted that a lot of people like it, it reminds of a special gathering, and maybe an era and place, love, tradition and family? And lots of people just like it.    Isn't it about time it gets the respect it deserves and people can openly admit they love it? 

Why do we respect other countries' culinary traditions, but not our own?

Frequent Contributor

We've used frozen green beans as well, canned other times, but contrary to the folks who cannot tolerate the thought ... I love the stuff.  It takes me back to a time when being young was pretty darned special.  So while so many expressed themselves so eloquently about it, I will use plain language and say, it's not a Thanksgiving table for me without it. Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

ETA:  This is for Sooner.  I don't think I replied correctly.  In any case, yours was the absolutely perfect post Smiley Happy  Couldn't have said it better!  Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

In all my years, I have never eaten or tasted this recipe. It doesn't look that appetizing at all to me. Not a fan of canned soup and over green beans----no thanks!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

I look at this casserole as a traditional and venerated dish reflective of a time and place in American culinary history.  I am quite serious about this.

For MANY people in this country, it is part of their heritage, part of our family history, and a representative dish of American culture and food at a particular time and possibly place.

We are aware of many traditional foods from OTHER cultures that people look upon with almost reverence.  It is people remembering their past how their ancestors cooked.  I can even think of many religious feasts that include what we might consider unsavory dishes.

So why must this simple casserole be treated with disdain?  It was from a time in our country when convenience foods were new, innovative, easy to use and important.  It helped a lot of women feed their families when they went to work.  It showed up on holiday tables when it was new and exciting, AND easy!  Many many people have cooked it and proudly put it on tables.  It appears along with the almost-worshiped soggy bread and egg goo (often greasy from being in the turkey) that is known as "stuffing" and to me is worse than the green bean casserole.  But I understand that lots of people love it and have to have it.  Nobody makes fun of stuffing/dressing.

So, I ask: Why the attitude?  Isn't it time we got over it and admitted that a lot of people like it, it reminds of a special gathering, and maybe an era and place, love, tradition and family? And lots of people just like it.    Isn't it about time it gets the respect it deserves and people can openly admit they love it? 

Why do we respect other countries' culinary traditions, but not our own?

What's the point of making food no one in my house will eat?

I really don't feel I need to respect my moms gluey mashed potatoes, my aunts green bean cassarole or canned cranberry sauce. To each their own, but I see no point in cooking foods I don't like for Thanksgiving unless it was a special request. Luckily that's not a problem with my family. My mom doesn't even make it.

When I started cooking Thanksgiving for my own family I made it my own. If my husband had wanted green bean cassarole, I'd have made it from scratch but he didn't. He didn't grow up celebrating Thanksgiving except at friends houses, since both his parents are first generation Americans. Each generation gets to do what they want for holidays, and I did mine and my kids will do theirs when it's their turn. We don't need to be stagnant in the 50s or 70s.

When we were vegan we didn't even have a turkey. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I've never had it, it's just yuck to me and I know those French's onions would give me heartburn, really bad.

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

If you make this with fresh green beans and home-made Cream of mushroom soup (takes 5 minutes to do), the difference in flavor is AMAZING!!!!! Not to mention the presentation.

This is the side dish I am asked to bring to any meal. Geez, it's good!!!!

@SahmIam

I use frozen French-cut green beans which are close to fresh, but yours sounds great. As above, sometimes I make my own mushroom soup/ sauce, too. Fresh mushrooms, a cup of medium white sauce made with skim milk, pepper, 1/3 cup chicken broth and in the end if it needs more liquid, I use a little more milk. And then I use the canned onion rings. I buy them once a year and we look forward to it.

Respected Contributor

I get that. Sometimes I make my own mushroom sauce/ soup usung fresh mushrooms. 

Esteemed Contributor

OK, I am going to make my own cream of mushroom soup to go into my green bean casserole!!  sounds good!

Honored Contributor

Hi Sooner!   I get what you are saying.  Well, on an intellectual level I get it.  On an emotional level, I am unable to connect because I didn't get to grow up with traditions.  But I will try to keep dialed back my lack of appeal for canned soup cooking.  Smiley Happy  

I like that many have come up with recipes to make the 'sauce' from fresh ingredients, as well as using fresh or frozen green beans for it.  I've heard good things about these recipes over the years.

I haven't tried any of that, because my (our, actually) preference is something lighter so I make the saute that doesn't have that sort of consistency to it.