Esteemed Contributor

Tired of that old green bean and mush soup dish?

Boy, I am!    For a light side dish made ahead and reheated....this come from an old cookbook from GA -  so not saying it's a new fresh receipe....

1 pkg chopped broccoli -  cooked briefly in water - drain

2 eggs beaten

1 can of much soup

onion - finely chopped

pepper

Add soup to beaten eggs and add rest of the stuff - mix well - then mix in your broccoli

Grease your baking dish with butter and pour mixture in - you can add grated cheese or crumbled crackers or potato chips to the top............bake at 300 for 30 mins.  However, my electric stove needed an hour plus to firm up and brown the edges..   It's easy - light and very tasty and adds to a turkey dinner or anyother big/small meal.

P.S.   I have another with minute rice, similar to this one, but more filling and substantial.  If you want it - post your request.

Respected Contributor

Re: Tired of that old green bean and mush soup dish?

That dish is horrible. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wouldn't touch it!    I've never known what the appeal is with that dish, especially with that canned cream of mushroom soup (yick).  

I do make a green bean dish for Thanksgiving, but it's just a saute with herbs and seasonings, pancetta, mushrooms, almonds, and  a touch of lemon juice.   (I just made it up on the fly one year)    

I also use fresh green beans if I can get them, but often I cannot get nice ones so I get a bag of frozen 'petite whole green beans'.  They are very nice.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Sunnycorle wrote:

That dish is horrible. 

I completely agree, I have never made it. My kids don't even know what it is LOL. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Ha I had no idea what much or mush soup was until I read the replies.

Sorry I like my beans boiled or with red sauce and onions

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I can't stand the taste of the canned fried onions, so I avoid this dish. However I know people who wouldn't think it was a holiday without it. Sometimes you can't mess with tradition.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I LOVE the green bean casserole......even eat it cold for breakfast.  Seriously,I love it.

Honored Contributor

I freshened it up with using FROZEN green beans!!!  You won't believe the difference!!!

I do fresh green beans with Goya Ham Flavored Concentrate.  Works great, no fat!  (That's from the butter on the rolls)!!!

Esteemed Contributor

The green bean casserole is our holiday tradition!  We all LOVE it, sometimes I put bacon pieces in it!!  It wouldn't be Thanksgiving or Christmas without it at our house!!

Honored Contributor

My son,  who was not a foodie and didn't like much of anything,  loved that green bean/mushroom soup mess so he was assigned to make it every year.   I never even tasted it.   Yuck. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment