Regular Contributor

Re: Three - Hour Refrigerator Pickles

I made some pickles over the weekend! I also made some pickled carrots and onions using the same brine. I haven't tasted them yet, but I will tonight after work. They were fun and easy to make, and they look pretty! If I knew how to insert a picture, I'd show all of you!

Respected Contributor

On 8/5/2014 GmaJewele said:

I made some pickles over the weekend! I also made some pickled carrots and onions using the same brine. I haven't tasted them yet, but I will tonight after work. They were fun and easy to make, and they look pretty! If I knew how to insert a picture, I'd show all of you!

Hi GmaJewele...... love the idea of making pickled carrots and onions using the same brine. What did you end up using in place of the sugar? My sis is a diabetic and I will have to tell her. Also what recipe did you use?

Honored Contributor

When I was a teen, I would always make a gallon of refrigerator pickles over the summer. Our refrigerator was only about 15 cubic feet, but we somehow found room for a gallon jug.

Respected Contributor

On 8/11/2014 AuntG said:

When I was a teen, I would always make a gallon of refrigerator pickles over the summer. Our refrigerator was only about 15 cubic feet, but we somehow found room for a gallon jug.

Hi Aunt G..........same with my family having the small fridge and making the gallon jug of pickles....thanks for the memories.

Honored Contributor

Thanks luvs...

One good thing about the Board changes is that some great, older posts like this one are popping up. 

I should have lots of cukes in a month or so. I will definitely be trying this - looks so easy!!!

Respected Contributor

Hi ChilliPepper,

Amazing how some oldies are popping up.  Yes, this recipe is nice and easy and really yummy.  I make them every year when like you I have an abundance of cucumbers.  Enjoy your pickles and let me know how you liked them.

Respected Contributor

Do you guys peel the cukes first? Cause lately the skins seem warier than in the past..or do you use "pickling" cucumbers?
Respected Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:
Do you guys peel the cukes first? Cause lately the skins seem warier than in the past..or do you use "pickling" cucumbers?

Hi Mothertrucker.........I do not peel the cucumbers.  I use a slicer and just slice them with the peel on them. I use regular cucumbers. 

Honored Contributor

I don't peel them either. I try to use the smaller, pickling cukes if available because they have less seeds. But I have used regular ones also (in other recipes).

Just avoid those weird, waxy ones you get in the winter. I would peel those for sure!

Respected Contributor

Thanks ladies!