Trusted Contributor

Re: The daughters made good on their mother's words

@vabreeze  I enjoyed reading your post, it was lovely and very touching.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bookplate wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks that withholding this recipe was a bit mean-spirited on the part of the woman?  Was she making a living with her baking?  It didn't say so.  So what's the big deal, its just a bar cookie for heaven's sake.  

I've known a couple of people who refuse to give their recipes to others.  Because I was not a part of their immediate circle of family or friends  I was able to get both but had to swear I would never reveal it to another person. It's their special recipe that they are known for and are able to bring it to all functions.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bookplate wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks that withholding this recipe was a bit mean-spirited on the part of the woman?  Was she making a living with her baking?  It didn't say so.  So what's the big deal, its just a bar cookie for heaven's sake.  

I agree, @Bookplate ! It is more blessed to give. How would it be for me, a teacher, not willing to impart my "special knowledge" to my students?

I'll always give away my "secret ingredients."

(It's sherry in the chicken, and in a lot of things, apple pie spice.  Or, how about cloves in apple pie?)

@vabreeze  Thanks for posting! I love dates!

Trusted Contributor

@Bookplate  No, you're not. I've found that those who withhold recipes tend to be.....people I don't care for (interesting that they possess other qualities that I find unattractive in a friend).

I think what is worse is the person who intentionally sabotage a recipe they give out; I've known a few like that including my own mother (when she was alive). Mean-spirited is the only word I can think of to describe a person who does that.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Esteemed Contributor

This same story...different items to cook...had been going around the internet for years!  Cookies, fudge, etc!

Valued Contributor

Intrigued I actually made these.  I feel the mother still fudged on the instructions.  There is no way these should go in a 9.5 X 13 inch pan.  I tried this and the batter would simply not cover the bottom of the pan.

Undaunted, I pushed it onto half the pan and baked for 15 minutes instead of the 30 min in the instructions.  I did have something that was very good at the end.

If I make again, I would use an 8 X 8 pan and would seriously monitor it for doneness after 15 minutes.