Respected Contributor

Re: The What The **** is in this can? Thread.

S... on a shingle is sounding pretty good about now, isn't it?

Respected Contributor

I am rather positive  that most  of these horrors are not in the USA  but I am courious about the possom thing?  lol

Honored Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

I prefer to make my 'possum homemade so I can control the fat content of my 'coon gravy.  Man Wink

(And I thought canned whole chickens were the grossest thing on earth.)

chicken

My Dad was a cook primarily during WW11 and he would talk about the gross canned chickens he would have to cook for the troops. However, once they crossed over the Rhine and were in Germany in the waning weeks of the war - the German civilians had little to nothing to eat except what was in their gardens so he could trade them canned chickens for fresh veggies. That was how he was injured - a German soldier saw him negiotiating a trade with a farmer and threw a grenade, my Dad saw it and didn't want the woman or her children killed and he jumped on the grenade. He wasn't killed but was gravely injured. Other guys in his unit did kill the german soldier who threw the grenade. My Dad was awarded a silver star.

Honored Contributor

During the 50's we would stay with my grandparents over the summer.  I do remember my grandfather hunting at night with his two coon dogs, Pete and Ringer.  My grandmother always fixed whatever he hunted and we kids loved it.  Now I think back, it must have been coons.  Pardon me while I go lose my lunch.

Honored Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

I prefer to make my 'possum homemade so I can control the fat content of my 'coon gravy.  Man Wink

(And I thought canned whole chickens were the grossest thing on earth.)

chicken

Ah clearly you have not been a contestant on Food Network's Chopped . . . Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

OMG I forgot abought chicken in a can.

Respected Contributor

About 15 years ago one of my co-workers had to travel for work and brought back a can of pork brains in milk gravy bought in a convenience store in Arkansas. Another acquired taste, but not by me.

Respected Contributor

lol

Respected Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

About 15 years ago one of my co-workers had to travel for work and brought back a can of pork brains in milk gravy bought in a convenience store in Arkansas. Another acquired taste, but not by me.

That's hilarious!  Can you imagine getting that for a white elephant gift at a Christmas exchange?!?!  It would be perfect. LOL

Denise
Respected Contributor

The can label even had a picture of the contents. Double gag.