Honored Contributor

Re: The Perfect Chocolate Cake

The best most moist chocolate cake I have ever had was made with tomato soup.   I havent had it in years and never made it so I dont have the recipe, but I would think you could google it.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Super Contributor

I agree.  Hersheys!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Today's experimental cake is from Rose Levy Berenbaum's "The Cake Bible." The cake is "The Perfect All American Chocolate Butter Cake." She's not kidding with the butter. There's a lot of butter. I bought a six-inch round aluminum cake pan made by Wilton and I cut her recipe by two-thirds to fit the pan. (Using the weight in grams. My digital scale makes it easy to alter recipes when they're given in grams.) The batter tasted great. (Yeah, I know I'll die from eating raw batter, but I've done it all my life and I've never died.) No idea how the cake tastes just yet as it just came out of the oven and is awaiting removal from the pan as I type this, but it looks good. Here's a photo of it.

IMG_20210619_093310622_MP modified.jpg

The six-inch pan makes a nice two-serving cake, which since there's just me here, is perfect. I'll post back later with how it tastes, but it should be good. It's kind of neat making a whole cake that fits on a saucer. (Cooking time was 32 minutes for the smaller pan by the way.)

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Just a follow-up. The cake was a bit more bitter than I'd prefer. Too much cocoa? Not enough sugar? I'll try a different recipe next time. It looked great. Tasted okay, just a bit too bitter for me. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!