Trusted Contributor

Re: The Perfect Chocolate Cake

[ Edited ]

I have used the Ghirardelli chocolate cake boxed mix.

It is very good.

For frosting:

There is a recipe for ganache on the box--very easy:

(C. of melted chocolate chips

2/3 C. of heavy cream)

It makes for an easy but delicious quick chocolate cake when time is of the essence.  I have decorated

with fresh raspberries on top, and it makes for a

special little cake.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

My Mom always made the Hershey cake but made peanut butter frosting for it.

That sounds good too!

Esteemed Contributor

@happycat   It was a great cake.  I've made it a few times and everyone loves it.  Well, except DD.  She hates peanut butter.

My DH loved Mom's cake and she was happy to indulge him.

Respected Contributor

Ok Good, You've tried the King Arthur chocolate cake mix.

Now the question is What Did you NOT like about it. That gives us better referance to what you want when we know exactly what you DON"T want. Never mind that it was a Mix. Was it To heavy or light a crumb?  too sweet? Not chocolatey enough? Others who have made that same cake will be better able to help if you state exactly what differences youwould want from the known cake.

Honored Contributor

The perfect chocolate cake for one person is a horrible chocolate cake for another person. It all depends on what you like. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Just Bling-Search Wellesley Fudge Cake.  I think you'll be pleased with the recipe.

Respected Contributor

This is the only chocolate cake recipe I've used since the day I found it (note the date):

Buttermilk Devil’s Food Cake
Family Circle magazine | January 15, 1985 | page 130

Bake at 375º for 25 to 30 minutes.
Makes 10 servings at 88¢ each.

Unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup (1 stick) butter
2 ½ cups firmly packed light brown sugar
3 eggs
3 ½ squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, melted
½ cup buttermilk
1 cup boiling water
2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
Sour Cream Frosting (recipe follows)

Preheat oven to moderate (375º).  Butter three 9-inch round layer-cake pans.  Line bottom with wax paper circles*; butter paper; lightly dust bottom and sides with unsweetened cocoa powder.

Sift together flour, baking soda and salt onto piece of wax paper.  Set aside.

Beat butter in large bowl until light and smooth.  Slowly beat in sugar until fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.  Blend in melted chocolate.

Mix flour alternately with buttermilk into butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour, until well blended.  Stir in boiling water and vanilla.  Pour into prepared pans, dividing equally.

Bake in preheated moderate oven (375º) for 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool cakes in pans on racks 5 minutes.  Turn out cakes on racks.  Remove wax paper; cool.

Place a cake layer on serving platter.  Spread evenly with some of the Sour Cream Frosting.  Repeat with remaining 2 layers and some of the frosting.  Frost sides of cake.

*Mrs G's note: Wax paper leaves wax on the bottom of the cake layer, creating a slightly crunchy crust.  I suggest using parchment instead.

Sour Cream Frosting
Melt 15 squares (1 ounce each) semisweet chocolate in top of double boiler over hot, not boiling, water.  Remove from heat.  Beat in 1 ½ cups dairy sour cream, 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla and a pinch of salt.  Beat until creamy and holds its shape.
Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

Look online for Death by Chocolate Cake.  I've had several versions and , they have all been excellent ( including one made from a mix as part of the recipe).

@patbz Have you tried the one from the Trellis Restaurant in Williamsburg?  OH my!  We had it there a million years ago and it was spectacular.  

Marcel Desaulniers owned the place and I think made that recipe popular.  He has a number of cookbooks and wow did he do desserts right!  Complicated though to say the least! 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My go to chocolate cake is my grams wacky cake----easy, moist delicious ---made a banana wacky cake for Easter--OMG---the best ever. also called crazy cake

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

This post was making me so hungry for Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake so I made it last night and it did indeed come out "perfectly".  

I made a simple chocolate ganache and it was great.  My family was thrilled.  This was so quick to put together that I don't want to use a chocolate box cake again.